Sweet Thumbprint Cookies
This simple, easy to follow, short taking time – only more or less half an hour and 12 minutes-, homemade recipe of Sweet Thumbprint Cookies will give you a nice, delicious, buttery Thumbprint Cookies with Raspberry Jam that is really right for the dessert or sweet cookies for the holidays not only for you but also for all of the members in your family! Do try!!
Thumbprint Cookies origin is from Denmark. The Danish butter cookies have a “well” in the middle of every cookie that can be filled with Raspberry Jam or other kinds of fillings or fruit preserves such as Blueberry Jam, Peanut Butter Jam, Strawberry Jam or chocolate.
The thumbprint cookies have a “well” in the middle of every cookie because the thumbprint is pressed in the middle of the cookie dough when making the Thumbprint Cookies.
It is not that difficult to make Thumbprint Cookies for the common ingredients are easy to find and buy. You’ll have nice, delicious, buttery Thumbprint Cookies if you make the Thumbprint Cookies with good quality of jam for the filling.
The moisture content of your jam must be decreased by simmering the jam on low heat for 5 minutes if your jam is very wet. It is not recommended to freeze the Thumbprint Cookies because the jam will dry up after you bake the Thumbprint Cookies.
You can store your Thumbprint cookies in an air tight container for maximum 1 week. The thumbprint cookies will be still fresh at room temperature and you can keep them well in the kitchen cabinet.
Another nice, sweet, delicious cookie is Butter Cookies. It doesn’t take a long time to make Butter Cookies. It takes 10 minutes or the preparation and 15 minutes for making the Butter Cookies. So, you just spend altogether 25 minutes. The recipe yields 100 cookies and each cookie has only 40 calories.
To make the buttery, sweet, delicious Butter Cookies, you need to have the ingredients such as 10 oz of unsalted butter or 2 ½ sticks / 300 grams, 1 tablespoon of cooking spray, and 3 oz + 1 tablespoon or ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon /100 grams of sugar powder.
Some other ingredients are also needed such as 1 egg yolk, ¼ teaspoon of salt,½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons of whole milk (full cream milk), 11 oz or 310 grams / 2 cups + 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour, and 4 oz or 110 grams or ½ cup + 1/3 cup of cornstarch.
Now, you are ready to make the Butter Cookies. First of all, the butter is creamed with cooking spray, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract and salt until fluffy. The milk is added in and they are mixed properly.
And then, the all purpose flour and cornstarch are folded in. A spatula and your hands are used to mix the dough. At the beginning, the dough will look crumbly.
Next, the dough is continued to be mixed until it turns soft and doesn’t stick on your hands for more or less 10 minutes. The dough is covered with a plastic wrap and it is chilled in the fridge for 30 minutes.
After that, the oven is preheated to 350 F. Two baking sheets are lined with parchment paper. The dough is rolled to ¼ inch thick. The dough is cut into rounds using cookie cutters. The scrap is put together and it is rolled with the remaining dough.
Finally, the cookies are placed on the prepared baking sheets and they are baked for 15 minutes or until all the cookies become very light brown and the inside is completely cooked. The cookies are cooled before you eat them. The Butter Cookies can be kept in an air tight container for maximum 2 weeks. Enjoy!!
HOW MANY CALORIESOF THUMBPRINT COOKIES PER SERVING?
COURSE : DESSERT
CUISINE : EUROPEAN (DANISH ; CAKES)
KEYWORD : THUMBPRINT COOKIES
PREP TIME : 30 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 12 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 42 MINUTES
SERVINGS : 4 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 45 CALORIES PER 1 THUMBPRINT COOKIE
- ¾ cups or 6 oz / 170 grams of softened unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cups or 222 grams of all purpose flour
- ½ cup or 113 grams of sugar powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Raspberry Jam
- Prepare the oven. The oven is preheated to 350 F or 180 C. 2 baking sheets are lined with parchment paper. The flour and salt are sieved into a bowl. The butter and sugar are creamed until fluffy. The vanilla extract is added. They are beaten to mix properly.
- The flour mixture is gently added spoon by spoon. A spatula is used to scrap down the flour on the side and on the base as necessary. You must be sure that the mixture is mixed properly.
- The dough turns crumbly but the dough will still hold together when the dough is pinched. More or less 1 tablespoon of the dough is taken out by using your hand. Squeeze the dough on your palm with your fingers several times and then the dough is rolled into a 1 inch ball.
- They are placed on the baking sheet with 2 inches apart. Your thumb is used to press a well in the middle of the cookie. Every well is filled with ½ teaspoon of Raspberry jam.
- They are baked for 10-12 minutes. The Thumbprint Cookies are removed to wire tray to fully cool before you store the Thumbprint Cookies in an air tight container.