Banh Mi – A Vietnamese Sandwich-
This simple, easy to follow, practical recipe of Banh Mi– a Vietnamese sandwich- will give a delicious sandwich that you can make easily on your own at home and enjoy it with all of the members in your family! Do try!!
Banh Mi which means Bread in Vietnamese Language is a famous sandwich from Vietnam. The kind of bread used for making Banh Mi is called baguette, a long and narrow kind of bread from France.
Banh Mi or Banh Mi Sandwich is commonly filled with chicken, pate, or grilled pork. Many street hawkers in Vietnam offer and sell Banh Mi Sandwich not only to the Vietnamese but also to the foreign tourists.
Banh Mi is quite famous around the world because the spread of Vietnamese in many countries from Canada, France, England to America.
You can easily find and buy this famous sandwich in many Vietnamese Restaurants or Vietnamese Sandwich and Bakery Shops. There are many kinds of meat offered for the fillings from pan-fried, steamed to grilled meat.
To make this Vietnamese Sandwich or Banh Mi sandwich, you need to have several ingredients such as French Baguettes, pork or chicken, mayonnaise, cilantro leaves and Vietnamese pickled carrots and daikon.
One popular choice for Banh Mi filling is the grilled pork. To make pork Banh Mi, the pork is marinated with lemongrass and other seasonings. And then, the grill is fired up to grill the pork.
After that, the sandwich is made by spreading the mayonnaise on the baguette before you put into the grilled pork in the center of the baguette. The pickled carrots and daikon and also the cilantro leaves are put on top of the grilled pork and you will enjoy a satisfying sandwich.
For the bread of Banh Mi or baguette, it is recommended to have the rustic and crusty baguette. You can find and buy the French long and narrow Bread at supermarkets. A good Baguette is chewy soft inside, crusty outside and light in weight.
HOW MANY CALORIES OF BANH MI SANDWICH PER SERVING?
Banh Mi Sandwich has 400 calories per serving.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH BANH MI SANDWICH?
Banh Mi is best served alone. If you would like to have some other Vietnamese food such as Vietnamese Chicken Wings, Vietnamese Spring Rolls, and Vietnamese Shrimp Vermicelli, you will have more complete weekday lunch or weeknight dinner.
One typical food from Vietnam besides Banh Mi is Vietnamese Chicken Wings. This oven-baked chicken needs the ingredients such as 1 ½ -2 lbs of chicken wings, 8 cloves of coarsely minced garlic, ¼ cup of fish sauce, ¼ cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of crushed peanuts, 3 dashes of ground black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro. Now, you are ready to cook Vietnamese Chicken Wings.
First of all, the chicken wings are cleaned up with cold water and the chicken wings are pat-dried with paper towels. The chicken wings are removed to a large bowl.
Next, the garlic, fish sauce, sugar, and ground black pepper are put into a bowl and they are stirred to mix properly.
After that, the marinade is added to the chicken wings and they are combined properly until all the chicken wings are fully coated with the marinade. The chicken wings are marinated for 2 hours or for overnight to have the best result in the fridge.
And then, the oven is preheated to 400 F. The chicken wings are arranged on a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper. The chicken wings are baked for 30 minutes or until the exterior becomes golden brown.
Finally, the crushed peanuts and cilantro are put on top of the chicken wings. Now, your Homemade Vietnamese Chicken Wings is ready and you quickly serve it. Enjoy!!
CUISINE : ASIAN (VIETNAMESE)
KEYWORD : BANH MI SANDWICH
PREP TIME : 30 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 40 MINUTES
SERVINGS : 6 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 400 CALORIES
- 2 lbs of chopped into ¼ -inch thick slices, 8-inch length by 2 ½ -inch width of boneless pork butt
- 4 8-inch of sliced lengthwise of French Baguettes
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 bunch of cilantro leaves
- Pickled carrots and daikon
FOR THE LEMONGRASS PORK MARINADE :
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of minced lemongrass
- 1 ½ tablespoons of ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 5 of peeled and minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 3 cloves of peeled and minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- The pork slices are pounded a little bit with a mallet or the back of the kitchen knife. All the Marinade ingredients are all mixed together in a bowl. The pork is marinated with the Marinade for 2 hours or for overnight for the best result. The excess marinade is thrown away before you grill the pork.
- The grill is fired up. The marinated pork is arranged onto the grill. The pork is grilled until the pork is a bit burned or charred well on both sides or until the pork is cooked completely. The pork is broiled on each side for 5-7 minutes or until the pork is cooked through and it is a bit burned or charred well if you use a broiler oven.
- The pork is removed from the grill. The mayonnaise is spread on the baguette and several grilled pork slices are put into the baguette. The pork is topped with pickled carrots and daikon and not to forget the cilantro leaves. The baguette is cut into halves. Now, your homemade Banh Mi or Vietnamese Sandwich is ready and you quickly serve it. Enjoy!!