Okroshka Recipe to Refresh Your Summer
Okroshka recipe came from Russia, probably Volga region. This classic soup usually combines raw vegetables such as cucumbers, spring onions, and radishes that are mixed with boiled eggs, potatoes, and cooked meats like veal, beef, ham, or sausages.
Typically, this soup is using sour cream called smetana. But new versions come with diluted or light kefir, vinegar, whey, or mineral water.
Various Types of Okroshka
There are several different versions of okroshka. Check out some unique versions below.
- Classic okroshka that is served with beef. This okroshka will be served with some plates containing smetana (which is special dressing made of Russian mustard, pounding yolks, horse radish, salt, and green onion) and kvass.
- Okroshka that is made using kefir.
- Okroshka that the mixture contains the kvass.
- Okroshka that is mixed with its dressing.
- Okroshka mixed with the smetana or Russian sour cream.
- Mixed okroshka soup that is served with ice.
Well, we are going to show you the simplest and modern okroshka recipe.
Best Time to Enjoy Okroshka
Okroshka oftentimes is served during summer since this soup combines refreshing kvass’s taste and salad’s lightness. You may add sugar and salt so that your okroshka will meet your taste. If you’re using mineral water instead of sour cream, add lemon juice that’s freshly squeezed. The lemon juice adds extra savor where there’s no kvass. Besides, it makes your soup becomes so mouthwatering.
Simplest and Quickest Okroshka Recipe to Try
Course : Soup
Cuisine : Ukrainian, Russian
Keyword : okroshka, okroshka soup
Prep Time : 15 minutes
Cook Time : 15 minutes
Total Time : 30 minutes
Servings : 8 to 10 cups
Calories : 247 kcal
- 3 to 4 medium sized cooked potatoes, peel and dice them
- 3 to 4 cucumbers, dice them
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, dice them
- ½lb of ham, dice them
- ½ cup of green onion, chop finely
- 3 tablespoons of chopped dill whether frozen or fresh
- 2½ teaspoons of salt
- 3½ tablespoons of vinegar
- 1/3 cup of sour cream
- 8 cups of cold water
- Peel your potatoes. Dice into ¼ inch cubes. Place those diced potatoes inside medium pot then cover them with water. Boil potatoes with one tablespoon of vinegar. Continue boiling until your potatoes well cooked (about 10 minutes extra) but make sure they aren’t falling apart. Before cooling them, make sure you drain them well. You can also rinse them using cold water.
- When boiling the potatoes, boil your eggs then cool them inside ice water.
- Dice your eggs, ham, and cucumbers. Chop the dill and green onions. Place them all inside one big cooking pot.
- Take large bowl and whisk together cold water, sour cream, salt, and 2½ tablespoons of vinegar until they’re combined. Pour this mixture to your cooking pot and mix with other ingredients. Combine them by stirring them well then serve the cold soup. What a simple okroshka recipe, isn’t it?
What do you think? Where are you going to try this recipe? Okroshka is served cold. You can even add ice cubes in order to keep your soup cold. Will you try this with ice cubes inside?