Chinese Vegetables Choy Sum
This simple, easy to follow, short taking time –only more or less 20 minutes-, homemade recipe of Chinese Vegetables Choy Sum will give a yummy and healthy vegetable dish that is the right choice not only for you but also for all of the members in your family! Do try!!
There is no doubt that many kinds of vegetables are really good and healthy for you. The thing about vegetable is that vegetable doesn’t have much or strong taste like fish or meat has. So, you need to be able to cook the vegetables in such a way that you can have the nice taste and texture of the vegetable by using the sauces and side ingredients.
Besides the main courses, in daily Asian or Chinese meal, there is always a vegetable dish that will be served together with the main courses. You can have the vegetables in usually two serving ways, one with brown sauce and the other is with white sauce.
In this, recipe, you will use Choy Sum a special Chinese vegetable-that you can find and buy at many Asian Stores. The Choy sum with white sauce will be a great vegetable dish for you.
One delicious and popular pair dish for Chinese Vegetables Choy Sum is Kung Pao Shrimp. It doesn’t take a long time to prepare and cook Kung Pao Shrimp. It takes 15 minutes for the preparation and 5 minutes for cooking the Kung Pao Shrimp. So, you just spend altogether 20 minutes.
For Kung Pao Shrimp, you need to have the ingredients such as 2 tablespoon s of cooking oil, 1 inch piece of peeled and thinly sliced of ginger, ¼ of quartered onion, ½ of chopped into pieces of green bell pepper, 10 mini dried red chilies or 5 regular-sized of dried chilies.
Some other ingredient are also needed such as 10-12 oz of shelled, peeled and deveined of big shrimps, ¼ cup of roasted peanuts, and 3 stalks of white parts only of scallions. And before cooking the Kung Pao Shrimp, you must prepare the Kung Pao Sauce.
To make the Kung Pao Sauce, you must have the ingredients such as 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce, ½ teaspoon of cornstarch, 4 tablespoons of water, 3 dashes of white pepper, ½ teaspoon of sesame oil, ½ teaspoon of Chinese Black Vinegar, rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Now, you are ready to cook Kung Pao Shrimp. First of all, the Kung Pao sauce ingredients are mixed and they are put aside.
Next, prepare a large flat base frying pan. The large flat base frying pan is heated up and the cooking oil is put into the large flat base frying pan until the cooking oil becomes very hot. The ginger is put into the large flat base frying pan and several quick stirs are done.
After that, the onion, green pepper, and dried red chilies are put into the large flat base frying pan. They are stirred-fry until the spicy aromas from the dried red chilies are smelled. The shrimps and roasted peanuts are put into the large flat base frying pan and continue stirring.
And then, the Kung Pao Sauce is put into the large flat base frying pan when the shrimps are nearly cooked. Continue stirring until the sauce becomes thick. The chopped scallions is put into the large flat base frying pan and several quick stirs are done..
Finally, dish out the Kung Pao Shrimp. Now, your homemade Kung Pao Shrimp is ready and you quickly serve it hot with Chinese Vegetables Choy Sum. Enjoy!!
HOW MANY CALORIES OF CHINESE VEGETABLES OR CHOY SUM PER SERVING?
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN (CHINESE)
KEYWORD : CHINESE VEGETABLES CHOY SUM
PREP TIME : 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 20 MINUTES
SERVINGS : 4 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 96 CALORIES
- 6-8 oz of choy sum or Chinese leafy greens
- Some slices of canned button mushrooms
- Some slices of carrots
- 6 peeled and deveined of medium-sized shrimp
- 1 inch of peeled and sliced thinly of ginger
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
INGREDIENTS FOR THE WHITE SAUCE :
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of fish sauce or up to your taste
- ½ tablespoon of cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons of water
- ½ tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese rice wine
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
- The vegetables are cleaned up with water and the water is dried-out. The white sauce ingredients are mixed and the white sauce is put aside.
- Prepare a large flat base frying pan. And then, the large flat base frying pan is heated up. The cooking oil is put into the large flat base frying pan until it becomes very hot when the smoke is coming from the cooking oil.
- The ginger is put into the large lat base frying pan and the ginger is stir-fried until the ginger becomes light brown or you smell its nice aroma. The mushrooms and shrimps are put into the large flat base frying pan and several quick stirs are done until the shrimps are half-cooked. The vegetables are put into the large flat base frying pan and they are stirred fast. The white sauce mixture is put into the large flat base frying pan and it is kept on stir frying until the white sauce becomes thick. By that time, the vegetables will be cooked right, but not overcooked.
- Dish out the Chinese Vegetables – Choy sum-. Now, your homemade Chinese Vegetables –Choy Sum- is ready and you quickly serve the Chinese Vegetables Choy Sum wit Kung Pao Shrimp. Enjoy!!