Thai Green Curry
This simple, easy to follow, short taking time –only more or less 20 minutes-, homemade recipe of Green Curry will give you a delectable dish of Thai Cuisine with its typical taste and Green Curry is a good source of proteins from the chicken and vitamins from different vegetables cooked with Green Curry paste making Green Curry an appetizing dish for you!!
Different from Thai red Curry that commonly uses string beans and carrots for the vegetables, Green Curry uses Thai egg plants, but if you don’t have them you may substitute the Thai egg plants with bamboo shoots. For the proteins, both Thai Red Curry and Green Curry generally use chicken.
A PIECE OF INFORMATION ON THAI CURRIES
A Thai Curry dish is made from curry paste, seafood, vegetables or fruits, meat, herb, and coconut milk or water. Thai Curries have great distinctions with Indian Curries in their use of ingredients such as herbs and aromatic leaves over a mix of spices.
It is a must to use curry paste. Thai Curry Paste use common ingredients such as shrimp paste, red or green and dried or fresh chilies , depending on the kind of curry, onion or shallot, garlic, lemongrass, galangal, coriander / cilantro root.
Some additional ingredients for the curry paste such as turmeric, peppers, coriander seeds, and boiled fermented fish are used depending of the type of curry. These ingredients are traditionally ground with a mortar and a pestle.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TO HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN AND THE BEST THAI GREEN CURRY AT HOME?
First of all to have the original, spicy, rich, sweet, creamy, and tasty of Thai Green Curry you need to have the best quality of Thai Green Curry paste.
If you want to make your own Thai Green Curry Paste at home the basic ingredient is of course fresh green chilies and some other ingredients for the Thai Green Curry paste such as garlic, shallots, lemongrass, galangal, coriander, cilantro roots or stems, cumin, kaffir lime skin and leaves and shrimp paste.
In Thai tradition, the people make the Green Curry Paste using a stone mortar and a pestle and grounding all the ingredients of the Thai Green Curry until all of the ingredients turn into a soft texture. But, if you don’t want to trouble yourself grounding all the ingredients of the Thai Green Curry, just buy The Thai Green Curry Paste at some Asian Stores.
Next, you need to have the ingredients of The Thai Green Curry such as skinless and boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, Thai egg plants or bamboo shoots, coconut milk, fish sauce, fresh red chilies, kaffir lime leaves, and Thai basil leaves.
One more thing, it is recommended you need to have the best quality of coconut milk by using the coconut cream and use fish sauce only. IT IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN to use soy sauce because you will have a different taste of your Thai Green Curry later.
Now, you are ready to cook your Thai Green Curry. Firstly, the curry paste is sauteed and the skinless and boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs are put into. Secondly, the coconut milk, water, Thai egg plant or bamboo shoots and all the seasoning ingredients are the next to put into. Finally, the chicken is cooked until it turns to soft and the curry sauce becomes a little bit thick.
The end result of your homemade Thai Green Curry will be the balance tastes of rich and creamy from the coconut milk, sweet from the palm sugar or white sugar, spicy from the curry paste and tasty and fresh from the fish sauce. The four kinds of tastes which are spicy, sour, salty and sweet are the main characteristics of Thai Cuisine.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
Thai Green Curry has only 317 calories per serving.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH THAI GREEN CURRY?
Some other meals such as Thai Cucumber Salad, Thai Shrimp Cake, Pineapple Fried Rice, and Pad Thai can be served together with Thai Green Curry for more complete Thai Food and for more complete weekday lunch or weeknight dinner.
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN (THAI)
KEYWORD : GREEN CURRY RECIPE
PREP TIME : 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 15 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 20 MINUTES
SERVINGS : 3 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 317 CALORIES
- 2 tablespoons of Green Curry paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cooking oil
- 8 oz of skinless and boneless, chopped into bite-sized pieces of chicken breasts
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- 5 lightly bruised of kaffir lime leaves
- 2 chopped into thick strips of red chilies
- 4 oz of bamboo shoots
- ¼ cup of Thai Basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or preferably palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- Prepare a pot. The pot is heated up over medium heat and the cooking oil is put into the pot. The Green Curry Paste is sautéed until you smell its nice aroma and the skinless and boneless chicken pieces are put into the pot and they are stirred to mix properly with the curry paste. The coconut milk and water are put into the pot and they are brought to a fast boil.
- The bamboo shoots, kaffir lime leaves, and chilies are put into the pot. The heat is lowered to simmer. The pot is covered and for 10 minutes, and they are continued to be simmering until the curry is a little bit thick.
- The fish sauce, sugar, and basil leaves are put into the pot and they are stirred to mix properly. The heat is turned off. Now, your homemade Thai Green Curry is ready and it is quickly and best served with steamed jasmine rice.