Sushi Rice Recipe
This simple, easy to follow, short taking time –only more or less 30 minutes- recipe will give you the nice Sushi Rice you can make easily at home with only few basic ingredients such as steamed rice, rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Once you know how to make Sushi Rice at home, you can make various kinds of Sushi rolls that you love. Do try!!
Sushi Rice is needed when you want to make Sushi rolls. Steamed short-grain rice is the first ingredient that you need to have for making Sushi Rice. And then, you will need some seasonings such as Japanese rice vinegar, sugar and salt.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOUR OWN SUSHI RICE RECIPE AT HOME?
First of all, as mentioned earlier you need some ingredients such as short grain rice, dried Japanese seaweed or Kombu, rice vinegar, sugar and salt. The last three ingredients mentioned are used for the seasonings for Sushi Rice. The number one choice of the rice for making Sushi Rice is The Short Grain Rice. It is highly recommended to use a mix of Japanese Rice and Calrose rice.
The reason why you mix these two kinds of rice is Calrose Rice has bigger grains. When you mix these two, in the ratio 1:1, you will have the right and immaculate texture. Anyway, before making your own Sushi Rice at home, please pay attention to these following suggestions.
First, the short grain rice is washed and cleaned up with water to eliminate the “starch” and you will know this when the water turns clear. Second, an electric rice cooker is used to cook the rice. Third, a wooden bowl and spoon are used to stir and mix the steamed short grain rice with the seasoning ingredients.
And last but not least, if you want to have the most delicious taste for your Sushi Rice, Japanese rice vinegar is used with dashi. It strengthens and makes your Sushi Rice become more and more delicious. Now, let’s start to make your homemade Sushi Rice.
Firstly, the short grain rice is cooked in a rice cooker or an instant pot. Next, if you already well-cook the short grain rice, the cooked short grain rice is removed from the rice cooker and give a few minutes to let it cool in a wooden bowl.
If later you have some leftover of Sushi Rice, you may freeze it in the fridge for several days. The leftover Sushi Rice is steamed again for a few minutes before you use it.
For your information, in Japanese tradition, the Sushi Rice is made in a wooden tub. Finally, the seasonings, which are rice vinegar, sugar and salt, are put into the wooden bowl and they are mixed and blended properly with the steamed rice.
A PIECE OF INFORMATION ABOUT JAPANESE SUSHI
Sushi is a Japanese food that is generally prepared with several kinds of seafood for examples eel, yellowtail, squid, salmon, tuna and artificial crab meat. But many kinds of Sushi are also vegetarian friendly.
There are so many kinds of Sushi from Chirashizushi , Inarizushi to Makizushi, known also as Rolled Sushi or Nori maki. Makizushi is so popular and loved by many that Americans and South Koreans have their own style for this kind of Sushi.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
This Sushi Rice recipe yields 40 pieces of Sushi Rice. Each piece of Sushi Rice Recipe has only 7 calories.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH SUSHI MADE FROM SUSHI RICE?
Of course, before having some other meals, you can make your Homemade Sushi Rice into different kinds of Sushi that you love. And then, some other meals such as Miso Soup, Gyoza, and Chicken Teriyaki can be served together with your Homemade Sushi made from Sushi Rice Recipe for healthy Japanese food and for more complete weekday lunch or weeknight dinner.
COURSE : APPETIZER OR MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN ( JAPANESE)
KEYWORD : SUSHI RICE RECIPE
PREP TIME : 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 30 MINUTES
SERVING SIZE : 1
CALORIES : 7 CALORIES PER PIECE OF SUSHI RICE
- ½ cup of sushi rice
- ½ cup of Calrose rice
- 1 piece 4 inch of dried Japanese seaweed
FOR THE SUSHI RICE SEASONING :
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼ heaping teaspoon of salt
- The rice is washed and cleaned up with water and dry the water for several times until the color of the water turns into clear. The rice is then dried in a colander.
- Prepare a small wooden bowl. And then, all of the ingredients for Sushi Rice Seasoning are mixed in the small wooden bowl. They are stirred to mix properly. The sugar must be entirely melted.
- The rice is removed to a rice cooker and the water and dried Japanese seaweed are put into the rice cooker. The rice cooker is set to cook the rice.
- If the rice is cooked, the rice is removed into a wooden bowl and the rice is spread out I the wooden bowl. The Sushi Rice Seasoning is put into the wooden bowl and with a wooden spoon, they are mixed properly.
- Give a few minutes to let the rice cool down until it is warm enough. And then, you can start to make and shape your own Homemade Sushi Rice into any kind of sushi that you love to have.