Soy Sauce Chicken
This Soy Sauce Chicken is a tasty chicken dish that is usually served on Chinese New Year and it is originated from Canton. The Soy Sauce Chicken which its dark and shiny whole chicken dunked in a soy sauce and its silky, juicy and tender chicken meat is loved by many and it is a must be on the list of menu in many Chinese Restaurants around the world.
Who doesn’t love chicken? Besides its incredibly delicious taste, chicken is also an excellent source of proteins and it is not that difficult to cook. Once you know how to make Soy Sauce Chicken, you know that it is really worth trying and it gives you an unforgettable experience of cooking and enjoying this chicken dish together with all of the members in your family.
Soy Sauce chicken dipped with ginger and scallion condiment will be very mouthwatering for everybody in your family from children, teenagers, adults to the elderly. So, do try out this recipe of the amazingly delicious Soy Sauce Chicken today at home!
For the chicken, you can use either the whole chicken or leg quarters. Just remember that you need a certain skill to have a perfect chop if you use the whole chicken. Later you can also save the soy sauce mixture to be used for different kinds of Chinese dishes such as Soy Sauce Eggs and Soy Sauce Fried Tofu.
Another amazingly delicious chicken dish using soy sauce is Soy-Glazed Chicken. Unlike the Soy Sauce Chicken in Cantonese Style, Soy- Glazed Chicken is fast-cooked chicken dish. It takes only 10 minutes to prepare and another 10 minutes to cook it. So, altogether you spend only 20 minutes to have this amazingly delicious chicken dish, the Soy-Glazed Chicken.
For the Soy-Glazed Chicken, you need to have the ingredients such as 1 ½ lbs of 4 chicken thighs, 2 ½ tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of five-spice powder, 1 tablespoon of Chinese rice wine, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 ½ tablespoons of cooking oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic, white sesame, and chopped scallion. Now, you are ready to cook the Soy-Glazed Chicken.
Firstly, the soy sauce, wine, five spice powder, sesame oil, and sugar are mixed together. They are whisked to melt the sugar entirely. The sauce mixture is added to the chicken thighs. They are stirred to coat properly.
Secondly, prepare a large flat base frying pan. And then, the large flat base frying pan is heated up on low to medium heat and the cooking oil is put into the large flat base frying pan.
Next, the garlic is put into the large flat base frying pan when the cooking oil is heated and it is sautéed until the garlic becomes a little bit brown.
After that, the chicken thighs and all of the sauce are put into the large flat base frying pan and they are cooked gently for more or less 8-10 minutes or until all of the chicken thighs are cooked completely and the sauce decreases.
Finally, the chicken thighs are removed from the large flat base frying pan and they are beautifully decorated with white sesame and scallion. Now, our Homemade Soy-Glazed Chicken is ready and you serve the Soy- Glazed Chicken hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!!
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN (CHINESE)
KEYWORD : SOY SAUCE CHICKEN
PREP TIME : 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 55 MINUTES AND SEVERAL HOURS
TOTAL TIME : 1 HOUR (60 MINUTES) AND SEVERAL HOURS
- 3 of chicken leg quarters about 2 lbs
- 4 cloves of lightly pounded of garlic
- 2-inch of skin-peeled and lightly pounded of ginger
- 2 star anise
- 2 stalks of chopped into 2-inch lengths of scallions
- 1 dried honey dates (optional)
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick about 2-inch length
- ½ cup of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Rose wine or Shaoxing wine
- 4 oz of rock sugar
- 3 dashes of white pepper powder
- 4 cups of water
INGREDIENTS FOR THE GINGER AND SCALLION DIP :
- 1 oz of skin peeled, pounded, and finely chopped of ginger
- 1 chopped into thin rounds of scallion
- ½ heap teaspoon of chicken broth powder
- ½ heap of teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
For the ginger and scallion dip, prepare a small bowl.
- The ginger, scallions, salt and chicken broth powder are placed into the small bowl. And then, prepare a large flat base frying pan. 2 tablespoons of cooking oil is heated up in the large flat base frying pan until it begins to smoke. The cooking oil is poured into the small bowl and they are blended properly. Put them aside.
- All of the ingredients, but not the chicken, are put into a deep pot and they are brought to a boil on high heat for more or less 15 minutes. The chicken quarters are put into the pot and they are boiled over high heat for more or less 10 minutes. The heat is lowered to simmer for more or less 30 minutes.
- The heat is turned off and the chicken quarters are steeped in the soy sauce mixture for several hours to soak in the flavor. Dish out the chicken quarters and they are chopped into pieces. Now, your Homemade Soy Sauce Chicken is ready it is commonly served cold or at room temperature. You quickly serve the Soy Sauce Chicken with the dipping sauce. Enjoy!!