Soy Milk –A Healthy Beverage-
This simple, easy to follow, practical recipe of Soy Milk with only 3 simple ingredients of soy beans, water, and sugar will give a good and healthy beverage not only for you but also for all of the members in your family at home. Do try!!
Soy Milk has become traditional and staple beverage in many Asian Countries especially the ones in Eastern Part such as China, Taiwan and Hong Kong and in South East Asia such as Malaysia and Singapore. Soy Milk has a long history in Chinese Beverage from the time they created this good and healthy beverage thousand years ago.
Nowadays, more and more people drink soy milk instead of the common dairy milk for their daily beverage because of either the health concern or environmental reason. Of course, Soy Milk is absolutely vegetarian friendly and it has lots of health benefits and nutrients.
Soy milk is loved by many especially by the people in China or Taiwan and they often drink Soy Milk for their breakfast along with Fried Chinese Crullers. It is fine to drink Soy Milk everyday and anytime of the day. It’s easy to find and buy Soy Milk at any grocery stores or at Asian or Chinese food stores.
But to make your own Soy Milk at home will give you a much better, richer taste of Soy Milk with a nice aroma coming from the soy beans. It is also much healthier because you are going to use organic and non-GMO soybeans and no preservatives while the mass production of Soy Milk usually uses the non-organic and GMO soybeans and preservatives.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOUR OWN AND THE BEST SOY MILK AT HOME?
As mentioned earlier, you need only three simple ingredients such as organic and non GMO soybeans, water and sugar. While there are many Soy Milk machines or Soy Milk makers, you don’t have to use them to make your own Soy Milk at home.
Food processor or blender can be used to blend the organic and non-GMO soybeans and believe or not it’s fast and easy.
Now, the organic and non-GMO soybeans are cleaned completely with water and they are soaked overnight with water. The following day, the water is thrown away and the organic and non-GMO soybeans are cleaned up several times. The soybean skins are removed the best you can. Dry them out and put them aside.
After that, the soybeans are blended with water and the mixture is brought to a boil. The mixture is simmered on low heat until the milk decreases to the way you want it for its consistency. A cheese cloth is used to filter out the soy bean residue and some sugar is added up to your taste before the Soy Milk is served.
It is not really recommended to freeze the Soy Milk but it is fine to keep it cool in the fridge for maximum 5 days, no preservatives needed.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
This Soy Milk Recipe yields 8 cups and each cup has only 171 calories.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SOY MILK?
It is best served as a hot beverage along with some other side dishes. Some other meals such as Tea Leaf Eggs, Scallion Oil Noodles, Chinese Braised Soy Sauce Eggs and Scallion Pancakes can be served together with Soy Milk for a healthier and more complete breakfast.
COURSE : BEVERAGE (HOT)
CUISINE : ASIAN (CHINESE)
KEYWORD : HOW TO MAKE SOY MILK
PREP TIME : 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 45 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 1 HOUR (60 MINUTES)
SERVING SIZE : 1
CALORIES : 171 CALORIES FOR 1 CUP OF SOY MILK
- 1 ½ lbs of organic and non-GMO of soybeans
- 15 cups of water
- Some sugar up to your taste
- Prepare the soy beans. And then, the soy beans are cleaned up completely with water and they are soaked overnight with water.
- The following day, the water is thrown away and the soy beans are cleaned up several times. The soy bean skins are removed the best you can. Dry them out and put them aside.
- Prepare a blender. The soy beans are blended in 5 (five) batches in the blender. 3 (three0 cups of water are put into the blender for every batch of soy beans and they are blended properly.
- The blended mixture is removed into a large 8-quart stock pot. You repeat the same process of blending the soy beans until you blend all of the soy beans.
- The mixture is brought to a boil on medium heat. The mixture is once in a while stirred to prevent it from burning. Quickly after the mixture boils, the heat is lowered and it is simmered for more or less 5-10 minutes or until the soy milk decreases to the way you want it for its consistency.
- The heat is turned off when the soy milk is well cooked or done. A cheese cloth or cloth coffee filter is used to filter out the soybean residue. It is possible to use a ladle to squeeze down on the soy bean residue to take out of all the soy milk. And then, the residue is thrown away.
- Some sugar is put into the soy milk up to your taste before you serve the soy milk.
- The sugar is not put into the soy milk if salty soy milk is your preference. Fried Chinese crullers can be put into your soy milk. Just chop them up into pieces and they are put into the soy milk for a big breakfast.