Simple Banana Cake Recipe, Fail-Proof!
Do you have leftover overripe bananas? If you do, you can make them into a banana cake. This particular cake is delicious. Baking this cake is not always easy and I have experienced some failures in baking it before. However, I have found the best, fail-proof, and simple recipe. With this recipe, you will have moist, fluffy, and light cake made of the overripe bananas.
What is Banana Cake?
This particular cake is mainly made of banana. Compared to other types of cake, it uses less sugar since the overripe bananas are already sweet. In addition, this cake needs the right amount of baking powder and baking soda. Those two ingredients play important role in baking this cake.
This cake was first invented in 1930s or during the Depression era. At that time, many women were trying to make extra income. Meanwhile, grocery stores sold overripe bananas in discounts and the use of baking powder and baking soda started to become popular. In the 1960s, the recipe about this cake started to appear in many cookbooks.
Different cookbooks offer different banana cake recipes. Some of them have more ingredients than the other do. Some people add a bit of salt or some milk in it. However, I prefer to use the simplest recipe. There are only 6 ingredients in it:
- Overripe bananas
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Baking powder
You will notice that I do not use baking soda in this recipe. However, the cake produced by this recipe is as fluffy as the cake with baking soda in it. It is okay to replace the baking soda with baking powder; ¼ tsp of baking soda is equal to 1 tsp of baking powder.
Banana Bread vs. the Cake
Some people are a bit confused when they try to differentiate banana bread from the cake. It is understandable because the two of them are very similar in look. However, there are a couple of differences between the bread and cake.
- Banana bread has a denser texture. Meanwhile, the cake is soft.
- The bread often has several main ingredients, such as chocolate chip or walnut. However, the cake’s main ingredient is only banana.
- The cake is usually moist while the bread is slightly dry.
To have moist, puffy, and tasty banana cake, you can follow these tips.
- Make Sure that You Use Overripe Bananas
For the most delicious and sweetest flavor, it is essential for you to use overripe bananas in baking the cake. If the bananas are not ripe enough, your cake will taste a bit sour. Overripe bananas are also tenderer so that they will make your cake very soft and moist.
- Room Temperature Eggs is a Must
If you use refrigerated eggs to make this cake, it is important for you to set them aside first so that they are in room temperature. Using room temperature eggs will give you better result. To warm the eggs quickly, you can soak them in warm water until their temperature increases to room temperature.
- Beat the Eggs until They are Bubbly
This cake will be soft and moist if you beat the eggs until they are bubbly. Moreover, once they are bubbly, you need to mix it with sugar until they are foamy. Without these bubbles, your cake will have a denser texture.
- Stir the Batter Properly
Your technique in stirring the cake batter will affect the texture of your cake. To have moist, soft, and puffy cake, you must not over stirring the batter. Doing it will lessen the amount of the bubbles. Therefore, your cake will not have your expected texture.
- Stack up Two Baking Pans
When you bake this cake, some of its moisture will evaporate. Moreover, its sides will get thicker and drier. To avoid it, you can stack up two baking pans in making this cake. This technique will give you a moist and soft cake with thinner sides.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are some of the frequently asked question about this cake.
- Is it High in Calories?
Banana cake contains 318 calories in one serving. Therefore, it is high in calories and you need to watch how many slices of cake you eat in a day. The amount of the calories will increase if the cake is frosted.
- Can I Store it in the Fridge?
You can store this particular cake in the fridge. However, you need to make sure that you store it properly. Storing it in the fridge can cause the cake to dry. Therefore, you need to put the cake in an airtight container or wrap it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
This cake can be stored overnight in room temperature. You only need to wrap it tightly using plastic wrap or aluminum foil. The wrapping will retain the moisture of the cake and protect the cake from bacteria contamination.
- What is the Baking Pan to Use?
To bake this cake, you can use a rectangle baking pan or round baking pan. The size of the rectangle pan is 9 x 9 inches or 8 x 8 inches. As an alternative, you can bake the cake in a regular loaf pan.
Banana Cake Recipe
Cuisine: banana cake
Calories: 318 calories/serving
Time: 60 minutes
- 120 g of self-raising flour
- 200 g of overripe bananas
- 100 g of powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 100 g of unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 190oC
- Coat your baking pan with the butter.
- Use a parchment paper to line the pan.
- Place the bananas in a bowl and mash them until fine.
- Sift the baking powder and flour.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl.
- Beat them using a mixer. In the first 1 minute, you must beat them on medium speed. After that, increase the speed to the highest level for 2 minutes.
- When the eggs are bubbly, add the sugar. Beat the mixture for 3 minutes on the highest speed.
- Add the mashed bananas into the foamy mixture.
- Stir the mixture gently using a spatula.
- Divide the flour in three parts
- Melt the butter.
- Pour half of the melted butter in the mixture and stir them gently.
- Add 1/3 of the flour into the mixture; stir gently until they are well mixed. Add another part of the flour and stir gently again. Add the last part of the flour and remaining melted butter. Stir well.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake it for 50 minutes or less.
- After that, remove the cake and cool it down for 10 minutes
- Serve the cake
This fail-proof banana cake recipe is the best. It yields puffy and moist cake regardless of its simple ingredients. Don’t wait any longer. Go get the ingredients and try this recipe to enjoy this sweet, tasty, and soft cake.