Rich and Delicious Mustard Chicken Recipe
If you like mustard sauce, this mustard chicken recipe is a must-try. If you don’t like mustard sauce, you should still try it. Why? Well, because this rich and delicious dish will change your opinion about the mustard sauce. And don’t worry. Making this recipe is easy.
The chicken meats are coated with the mustard mixture before being cooked, resulting in very tasty chicken meat inside and out. Other ingredients, especially bacon and parsley, make the taste even stronger. This recipe here is for 4 to 6 people per serving, so adjust as necessary.
About the Dish
- Who made the recipe?
This recipe is made by David Lebovitz.
- What’s in the dish?
The main ingredient is chicken. The chicken is seasoned mainly with mustard with other ingredients like wine, bacon, bacon fat, salt, black pepper, enhancing the taste. The result is a rich and delicious chicken that everyone can enjoy.
- How long it takes to make the dish?
Preparation time is 30 minutes and cooking time is 30 minutes. In total, it takes about an hour to make the dish. If you use chicken breasts instead of thighs, the total time will be slightly different.
- Other dishes to serve with the dish
Mustard chicken is a main course. A very delicious one at that. It can be served with other dishes like simple spaghetti, cilantro lime rice, and garlic thyme roasted mushrooms.
- Can I store it?
Mustard chicken is very tasty the whole family will like it. There probably no leftover. But in case there is any leftover, you can store the chicken for later. To store, place the chicken and sauce inside an airtight container. Put this container inside the fridge. This should keep the chicken and sauce good for up to three days.
- How to reheat
To reheat the chicken and sauce, use a pan or skillet and set the heat to medium-low. You can quicken the reheating process by covering the pan. This will not only reheat the chicken and sauce faster but also prevent them from drying.
- Calorie content and serving
Per serving, the calories of mustard chicken are 437. The dish can be enjoyed by 4 to 6 people per serving. For smaller families, the recipe can be halved to prevent too many leftovers.
- Use a Dutch oven
Cooking the dish is a lot easier if you use a Dutch oven. You can put all the ingredients inside and not having to worry about not enough size to turn the chicken around or stirring the ingredients so they mix well.
Covering the dish and let it cook is a must, too. This is a lot easier with a Dutch oven. Alternatively, you can also use a skillet. Just use one that has a lid so you can still cover the dish during the cooking.
- Without cream
What if you want the dish to be dairy-free? Or perhaps you just want to lighten it up? Not including heavy cream is okay. No need to worry. Even if you don’t include heavy cream, mustard chicken is still rich and delicious.
- Wine replacement
Let’s say you don’t have wine for this dish. What can you do? Although wine does add something to the dish and make it more delicious, you can substitute it with a 1/2 cup of chicken broth. The chicken broth will make the dish more delicious although not in the same way as wine does.
- Adding garlic
Some people love garlic. Some others hate it. If you love garlic, you can add it to the dish. This will add more flavor to it. If you hate it, well, even without garlic the dish is still delicious.
- Using chicken breasts
Chicken thighs are not the only parts of a chicken you can use for mustard chicken. You can also use chicken breasts if you want. Just keep in mind that the cooking time may be different.
Mustard Chicken Recipe
Keyword: Mustard chicken
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Servings: 6 people
- Water, as much as needed
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped for garnish
- Smoked paprika, about 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt, 3/4 teaspoon or to taste
- Whole mustard seeds, 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup of smoked thick-cut bacon (dice before cooking)
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 onion, small to medium size (dice before cooking)
- 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 dashes of ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup and 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 8 chicken thighs (skin-on and bone-in)
- Prepare a bowl then pour the Dijon mustard in the cup in it. Then, add in salt, black pepper, and paprika. Mix these ingredients well.
- Add chicken pieces in the mixture. Rub the mixture evenly on the chicken skin and set aside.
- Prepare a skillet and fill it with olive oil. Set the heat to medium-high.
- Add the pieces in one, single layer. Allow the pieces to be cooked until one side is brown. Once one side is brown, flip the pieces and wait until the other side turns brown as well.
- Once the chicken pieces turn brown on both sides, move them to a platter. Remove the oil.
- Heat a Dutch oven (you can also use a skillet with a lid). Set the heat to medium-high.
- Next, add the bacon. Stir and cook until they turn slightly brown and soften. Then, remove from the oven once done and put them aside.
- There should be bacon fat on the oven. Remove the fat until there is only a tablespoon or so of it.
- Add onion. Cook it with the fat until it becomes translucent and soft. Add in thyme and cook the ingredients for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs, followed by the wine shortly after.
- Cover the oven and set the heat to low-medium. Cook the chicken for about 20 minutes. Turn it around several times until it is cooked through.
- Add the heavy cream, mustard seeds, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard.
- Add water as needed to thin the sauce.
- Let the chicken simmer for a bit. Garnish it with chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.