Hunan Chicken – A Chinese Spicy Chicken Dish-
This practical and original recipe of Hunan Chicken will give you a yummy, healthy and spicy Chinese Chicken dish surrounded by several kinds of vegetables in a special Hunan sauce. Hunan Chicken is loved by many for its tasty soft chicken meat and its hot sauce. Hunan Chicken will also give you a different taste of Chicken dish that you want to have it again and again.
A PIECE OF INFORMATION ABOUT HUNAN CUISINE and HUNAN CHICKEN
As mentioned in the title, Hunan Chicken is Chinese spicy chicken dish. It’s not really a surprise because Hunan is a region in China that is now the center of commercial, transportation and manufacturing and at the same time, Hunan is quite famous for its spicy food.
Like many other Chinese, people in Hunan use various cooking methods in making their meals from stewing to braising and many others. Hunan cuisine is commonly compared to Sichuan Cuisine. And especially for the flavor, Hunan Chicken is hotter than Sichuan Chicken.
Hunan Chicken gained its popularity more after maybe one Chef from China opened his restaurant in New York in the late 70’s. Nowadays, people are already familiar with Hunan Chicken as well as they are familiar with the Famous Kung Pao Chicken or Almond Chicken.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TO HAVE THE BEST OF HUNAN CHICKEN AT HOME?
As mentioned earlier, many people love to have Hunan Chicken for its soft chicken meat. So, you have to prepare the chicken meat before cooking Hunan Chicken. First, you make the chicken meat, usually the chicken breast into pieces by slicing the chicken breast. And then, you marinate the pieces of the chicken breast using corn starch and egg, but only the white part of the egg.
Next, you prepare the vegetables, such as mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli. Chop these three kinds of vegetables in such a way that you have the same size pieces. By doing this, these three kinds of vegetables will be equally cooked when you stir fry them.
And last but not least, the handling of Hunan Chicken Sauce. For this Hunan Chicken Sauce, you need to have several ingredients such as Chicken stock, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and oyster sauce. And there is the ultimate ingredient of Hunan Chicken Sauce, the Chili Bean Sauce or “Douban Jiang” in Chinese Language.
When you already have all the ingredients of Hunan Chicken Sauce, just make The Hunan Sauce now by mixing all of the ingredients and you’ll get a flavorful sauce of spicy and a little bit sour taste that you can keep and freeze it in the fridge for maximum 1 week.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
This Hunan Chicken has 499 calories per serving.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH HUNAN CHICKEN?
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN ( CHINESE)
KEYWORD : HUNAN CHICKEN
PREP TIME : 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME :10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 30 MINUTES
SERVINGS : 2 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 499 CALORIES
- 8 oz of +/- ¼ inch sliced chicken breast
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 cups of sliced carrot
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups of sliced red bell pepper
- 2 oz of dried black fungus (optional)
- 5 tablespoons of Hunan Sauce
- Salt and sugar to your taste.
FOR THE MARINADE OF HUNAN CHICKEN :
- ½ teaspoon of corn starch
- 1 beaten of egg ( white part only)
- 3 dashes of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
FOR HUNAN CHICKEN SAUCE :
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons of bottled Chili Bean Sauce or Douban Jiang
- ½ teaspoon of Chinese rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ teaspoon of ketchup
- 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar
- 3 dashes of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- The chicken meat and all the ingredients are marinated in the Marinade and for 10 minutes, put them aside.
- All of the Hunan Sauce ingredients are mixed. Put them aside.
- Prepare a large frying pan and the cooking oil. And then, the large frying pan is heated and the cooking oil is put into the large frying pan. The marinated chicken slices are dropped slowly into the large frying pan. The marinated chicken slices are stir-fried until the exterior becomes smeared or blurred. Dish them out and put them aside.
- The remaining oil is put into the large frying pan. The minced garlic is stir-fried until you smell its nice aroma. The mixed of vegetables and the black fungus are thrown lightly and slowly into the large frying pan and for the next 2 minutes, keep on stir frying.
- Next, the chicken slices are thrown lightly and slowly into the large frying pan and 5 tablespoons of Hunan Sauce are put into the large frying pan and they are stirred to mix well until the chicken slices are fully cooked. Some additional Hunan Sauce can be put into the large frying pan if you want to and salt and sugar are also put into the large frying pan up to your taste. Dish them out. Now, your homemade Hunan Chicken is ready and you can serve The Hunan Chicken with steamed rice.