Pancit Bihon (Filipino Fried Rice Noodles) Recipe
Pancit Bihon is a Filipino noodle dish.This simple,authenthic recipe will make it easy for you to make Pancit BIhon at home.
WHAT IS PANCIT?
Pancit means noodles in Filipino language.It’s easy for you to make this meal just by using simple ingredients.You may add some Chinese sausage and chorizo as variation if you want to.The essential ingredients are bihon ( rice vermicelli or rice sticks),chicken or pork or shrimp,vegetables and several seasonings.
HOW TO PREPARE BIHON ( RICE VERMICELLI OR RICE STICKS)
First of all,soak the dry noodles in warm water for about 10 -15 minutes.Always do this before cooking because this will remove the starch on the rice sticks and soften the noodles before you stir fry the noodles later.Dry the rice sticks in a colander after the rice sticks are soft.You are now ready to stir fry the soft but still a bit stiff rice sticks.
INGREDIENTS FOR PANCIT SAUCE
For the best Pancit Sauce,use the right combination of the following ingredients :
- Oyster sauce
- Soy sauce
- Fish sauce
- Ground black pepper
HOW LONG CAN THE LEFTOVER BE KEPT IN THE REFRIGERATOR?
You can keep the leftover in the refrigerator for a couple of days after cooking. Just don’t forget to cover or plastic wrap the noodles. If you want to reheat the noodles,you can use either a microwave or a frying pan.
WHAT DISHES TO SERVE WITH THIS RECIPE?
Some other Filipino food such as chicken adobo,Filipino chicken skewers and coconut water lemonade for the drink can be served together with this meal eventhough this meal is also best served on its own.
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN ( PHILIPPINES)
KEYWORD : PANCIT BIHON RECIPE
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 5 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 20 MINUTES
SERVING SIZE : 3 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 427 PER SERVING
- 8 ounces of rice sticks
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ small sliced onion
- 4 oz of boneless,skinless and chopped into piecse chicken thigh or chicken breast
- 4 oz of shelled,deveined shrimp
- 2 oz of thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 oz of chopped thin strips carrot
- 2 stalks of chopped 2 inch strips scallion
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- Some salt to your taste
- 3 dashes of ground black pepper
- Prepare the rice sticks and then soak them in the water for about 10-15 minutes until the rice sticks beome soft.Dry the soft rice sticks in a colander and put them aside.Now, also prepare the carrot,cabbage,garlic and onion.
- Heat up a large frying pan on medium to high heat.Put the oil into the frying pan and start stir frying the onion and garlic until they become clear.The chicken and shrimp are added,keep stir frying until the surface becomes white and now, put the cabbage and carrot into the frying pan.
- Put the rice sticks into the frying pan and use a spatula to combine them well.It will be better if you have a pair of long chopstick during this process to avoid the rice sticks from breaking too much.
- Put all the ingredients in the seasonings into the frying pan and keep stirring to make sure they are all mixed well.Finally,after about 1 minute as soon as the noodles are cooked,put the chopped scallion keep stirring dish it out quickly.
SERVING TIPS :
Pancit bihon is best served with calamansi lime or any regular lime,just squeeze some of the juice on the top of the noodles to give you the best taste before serving.