Pad See Ew Recipe
Pad See Ew is quite famous dish in many Thai Restaurants around the world. This simple, easy to follow , short taking time , homemade recipe of Pad See Ew, Thai Rice Noodles with chicken and vegetables will give you the best taste you are going to enjoy so much!
WHAT IS PAD SEE EW?
Pad See Ew actually consists of two Thai words, Pad and See Ew. Pad means fried and See Ew means soy sauce. So, altogether Pad See Ew means fried soy sauce. Pad See Ew has its origin in China but is already adapted to the local taste of Thai.
Pad See Ew is almost the same with the Char Kway Teow of Singapore and Malaysia.Pad See Ew is made with light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice noodles, garlic, Chinese broccoli, egg, tofu, or some thinly sliced meat such as pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, or mixed seafood.
Pad See Ew is a very common and popular dish in Thailand that it’s so easy or you to find and enjoy this meal. From elegant restaurants to many street hawkers in Thailand sell this yummy and special Thai Rice Noodles.
Pad See Ew is also sometimes called Kuaitiao phat si-io which shows the common practice of using fresh flat rice noodles as the main ingredient. But other types of noodles may also be used.
This Thai Pad See Ew recipe that you are going to try is easy to do. Just prepare the ingredients and you can start cooking this delicious and satisfying meal. Now, let’s find out more about the main ingredient, that is Thai flat rice noodles.
FLAT RICE NOODLES
Some types of rice noodles are used in Thai dishes, but for the perfect Pad See Ew you need to have the fresh flat rice noodles. You can buy it at Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese or Asian stores. Usually, you will find the flat rice noodles packaged in a plastic bag.
This fresh flat rice noodles with their white, soft texture and shiny looking because they are coated with oil is the best ingredient for Pad See Ew,but if you can’t find fresh flat rice noodles, you may use a 3/8 wide inch dry rice sticks.
WHAT SAUCE IS COMMON IN PAD SEE EW?
You need several basic seasonings for the sauce. With this sauce, you will stir-fry this flat rice noodles, but you’ll get a pretty dry dish as the end result. The basic seasonings are :
- Thai sweet sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Fish sauce
HOW DO YOU MAKE PAD SEE EW?
Besides the sauce seasonings above, chicken, garlic and of course, the flat rice noodles are needed for this simple, short taking time, tested recipe of Pad See Ew.
Stir-frying the flat rice noodles in a well seasoned, hot, large frying pan or skillet is the way for you to get the best result. Remember, high heat is very crucial to quickly cook and stir fry the flat rice noodles.
If you love eggs, you can add eggs during the cooking process, it will be tastier for some of you, but it is not a must.
Just leave out the chicken and change it with tofu if you want to make this meal a vegetarian or vegan friendly. You can use soy sauce and leave out also the oyster and fish sauce.
HOW MANY CALORIS PER SERVING ?
This meal has only 470 calories per serving.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH THAI PAD SEE EW?
Thai cucumber Salad is a good appetizer for this meal. Some other meals such as Thai Chicken Sate with peanut sauce, Thai Fish Cake can be served together with this dish for more complete Thai meals and an easy weekday lunch or simple weeknight dinner.
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN ( THAI)
KEYWORD : PAD SEE EW RECIPE
PREP TIME : 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 5 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 20 MINUTES
SERVING SIZE : 3 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 470 CALORIES
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 4 oz of thin pieces of boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 10 oz of fresh flat rice noodles or 8 oz of dry wide rice sticks
- 6 oz of Chinese broccoli
- 2 beaten eggs ( optional )
- 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1tablespoon of sugar
- Prepare the fresh flat rice noodles. With your hand, loosen the flat rice noodles. Make sure that the fresh flat rice noodles are not sticking or clumping together. If you use the wide rice sticks, follow the directions on the package to cook the wide rice sticks.
- Prepare a small bowl. All the ingredients for the seasonings are mixed in the bowl. Put them aside.
- Prepare a large frying pan or a skillet. And then, the oil is heated over high heat in the large frying pan. Put the garlic into the frying pan and start to stir fry until you smell the aroma. Put the chicken into the frying pan and keep on stirring. Put the flat rice noodles and Chinese broccoli into the frying pan quickly after the chicken changes color and keep on stirring for 30 seconds. Use a little more of oil if you use eggs. Put the beaten eggs into the frying pan and stir to mix well with the flat rice noodles. Dish it out and quickly serve The Thai Pad See Ew.