Jap Chae – A Yummy And Healthy Korean Noodles Food –
This simple, homemade, easy to follow and short taking time –only more or less 20 minutes- recipe of the well-known Jap Chae– Korean sweet potato noodle- will give a yummy and healthy meal for you. It is not that difficult to make your own Jap Chae at home because you only need several and simple ingredients.
If you are a vegetarian, then Jap Chae will be the right choice for you to cook at home because all of the ingredients are from vegetables. For non-vegetarian, you may use beef or pork to make your JapChae tastier in your mouth.
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT JAP CHAE?
JapChae is very famous in Korea. Jap Chae is Korean words for “mixed vegetables”. Historically, JapChae used to be the dish for the blue-blooded people only, but now everybody is looking for this food especially during Korean festive holidays. Not only on festive holidays but also on special events such as weddings, parties, birthdays, and banquets, JapChae becomes everybody’s favorite dish.
JapChae has a long history in Korean cuisine. It all started in the early 17thcentury when JapChae was made for The King. At that time, JapChae didn’t use any noodles. But, after Korean knew about sweet potato starch, they start to make Chap Jae using the sweet potato noodles or familiarly known also as sweet potato vermicelli.
JapChae ‘s main ingredients is the sweet potato noodles, also well-known as Cellophane noodles or glass noodles, and you can find and buy the sweet potato noodles at Asian stores. At present in Korea, there are several kinds of ChapJae such as Gochu JapChae, the shredded peppers and vegetables Chap Jae. Another kind of Jap Chae is Haemui JapChae, the seafood and vegetables JapChae. There are also Buchu JapChae,the garlic chives Jap Chae and Kongnamui Jap Chae,the soybean sprouts JapChae and several other kinds of JapChae.
There are several ways of serving the JapChae. You can serve JapChae at room temperature or you can serve it warm. It is also possible to serve JapChae cold. And you may also serve JapChae fresh on the same day you make the JapChae or on the following day.
Jap Chae has bouncy and fibrous texture because this Korean Sweet Potato Noodles are fatter and harder to swallow, but this bouncy and fibrous texture is what makes this meal yummy. If you want to make Jap Chae at home, you need some ingredients such as sweet potato noodles, spinach, carrot, scallion, mushrooms, soy sauce and sugar.
Since the sweet potato noodles have bouncy and fibrous texture, it will be much better for you to boil the noodles in hot water for 5 minutes. And then, dry them out and chop them into shorter lengths before cooking, and last but not least for Jap Chae, just cook it using a large frying pan.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
This Korean Sweet Potato Noodles has 396 calories per serving.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH JAP CHAE?
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN ( KOREAN )
KEYWORD : JAPCHAE RECIPE
PREP TIME : 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 5 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 20 MINUTES
SERVINGS : 3 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 396 CALORIES
- 8 oz of sweet potato noodles
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cooking oil
- 4 oz of spinach
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3-4 of fresh and chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small of chopped thin strips of carrot
- 1 stalk of chopped 1-inch length scallion
- ½ thinly sliced of small onion
- ½ tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of toasted white sesame
- Salt to your taste
FOR THE SAUCE OF JAP CHAE :
- 2 ½ tablespoons of sugar
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- Prepare a large pot. And then, for about 5 minutes, in the large pot, the sweet potatoes are cooked. Dry out the noodles and under cold running water, the sweet potato noodles are cleaned up. Using a pair of scissors, the sweet potato noodles are chopped into about 6-inch lengths, Put them aside.
- Prepare a pot of water and then, the pot of water is heated up and is brought to a boil. Briefly immerse the spinach in the boiling water about 1 minute until the spinach become limp through loss of heat of the boiling water. Dry out the water, and then under cold running water, the spinach is cleaned up.
- Prepare a large frying pan and then, the cooking oil is heated up in the large frying pan. The shiitake mushrooms, garlic, onion, and carrot are put into the large frying pan and for about 2 minutes, they are cooked. Next, the scallion is put into the large frying pan and is stir=fried for one more minute. The heat is turned to low. The sweet potato noodles and spinach are put into the large frying pan and pour in the sesame oil, the JapChae Sauce and add salt to your taste into the large frying pan. Keep on stirring until they are well-mixed. Dish out the JapChae and with the sesame seeds, the ChapJae are sprinkled. Finally, your homemade Chap Jae is ready and as explained above, you may choose yourself on how you are going to serve JapChae.