Chalupa comes from south central Mexico. When you’re going to some states like Oaxaca, Puebla, Hidalgo, and Guerrero, you’ll find this food everywhere. Chalupas are created by pressing the dough’s thin layer around the small molds outside. This process is supposed to create concave container that’s resemble to chalupa boat.
Then the dough will be fried – deep fried – to get corn cups that are crisp and shallow. Today, you don’t have to go to restaurants to get this food. Follow this homemade Mexican Chalupas recipe and you’ll make the tastiest Chalupa for family dinner. Before making the Chalupas, you must first prepare the ingredients for Chalupa bread. So let us start with the bread ingredients first.
Bread Ingredients of Homemade Mexican Chalupas Recipe
- 2½ cups of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 oz. of shortening
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Canola oil to fry your breads
That’s all. Those ingredients are going to be very nice dough that becomes delicious Chalupas bread. Then you have to prepare the ingredients to make the fillings of this food. Below is the list of ingredients you will need to make perfect Chalupas.
Other Ingredients to Make Homemade Mexican Chalupas Recipe
- 1 lb. of grounded beef that has been cooked
- Cheddar cheese, the sharp one
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Taco sauce
Before you start making the bread, get some utensils ready so that you don’t have to run all around your kitchen looking for the missing tools. Check out some tools down here and make sure everything is on your preparation table already.
Tools You Need to Prepare Homemade Mexican Chalupas Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Wooden roller
- Cooling rack
- Paper towels
Okay, you’re ready now. Make sure you follow every step down here carefully so that you will make most delicious Chalupas for your loved ones. Here are the steps.
All Steps to Follow for Perfect Homemade Mexican Chalupas Recipe
- Get your big mixing bowl then fill it with flour, salt, shortening, and baking powder.
- Mix the entire dry ingredients above together using your fork.
- Add milk to your dry ingredients.
- Make dough ball from those ingredients using your wooden spoon.
- Cover the surface of your preparation table with flour then place your dough on it.
- Roll your dough until it turns to smooth dough.
- Mold your dough into 8 inches loaf.
- Divide your dough into half, then fourths. Separate those parts.
- Roll every part into ball then roll out that small dough ball into 4 or 5 inches round circle.
- Heat your oil inside the skillet.
- Use your tong to dip your Chalupa dough carefully inside hot oil. You can dip half part of your dough until it becomes fry up; just make sure that part doesn’t turn to brown.
- Flip your Chalupa bread so that other part of dough is now dipped in hot oil.
- Or you can just fry each side of the bread for about two minutes or until they become golden brown.
- Line your cooling rack with paper towels to remove the oil from your Chalupa bread.
- Move your Chalupa bread from the oil to cooling rack.
- Fill the Chalupa breads with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, beef, and sour cream.
- Top the Chalupas with taco sauce.
- Your family can now enjoy the tastiest dinner ever.
This recipe is giving you 8 portions of this dish. Everyone can have more than one so that no one will feel starving anymore. What if you’re a vegetarian but you really want to try this recipe? All you need to replace is the ingredients for the fillings or toppings. Let us lead you to the vegan Chalupas.
Special Homemade Mexican Chalupas Recipe for Vegetarian
- 1 onion, the small one, chop it
- 2 jalapenos, chop them
- 1 small tin of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of refried beans
- Chopped iceberg lettuce
- 4 green onions, chop them
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Oil to sauté your ingredients above
So that’s the entire vegetarian ingredients for your Chalupas fillings. These steps are going to help you making the best vegan fillings for your Chalupas. Let us show you the way.
Homemade Mexican Chalupas Recipe for Vegan Chalupas’ Fillings
- Use your skillet to heat your oil
- Sauté your jalapenos and onion for five or six minutes
- Add crushed tomatoes then boil them for a while
- Reduce your stove heat then simmer for about fifteen minutes
- Remove your vegan sauce from heat but keep it warm
- Fill your Chalupas breads with chopped iceberg lettuce, refried beans, and also the sauce above
- If you’re okay with cheese you can add grated cheddar cheese on them but if you can’t have the cheese, skip this step
- Add sour cream to your Chalupas and don’t forget the lime shot
- Enjoy your vegan dinner!
If your kids don’t like the spicy taste, skip the jalapenos and make your kids the tomato sauce without jalapenos. You know what? You can even add Mexicali rice to your Chalupa breads. This is everybody’s favorite and you might also want to try this menu for your upcoming dinner.
Make the Mexicali rice by sautéing onions and garlic until they become translucent before adding the jalapenos, rice, and chili powder to the skillet. Sauté the rice for five minutes then add water, tomato paste, lemon juice, cumin powder, and salt. Mix them well then boil them for twenty five minutes. When your rice becomes tender, you can add cilantro and your rice will be ready.
Now add the Mexicali rice to your Chalupa breads as fillings. Whether you’re vegan or not the Mexicali rice is a perfect filling for your Chalupa breads. Which Homemade Mexican Chalupas Recipe above is more inviting for you? For me, it is the first one with the rice. It is just a bit unique and different compared to the other two recipes. But this depends on your life style and desire. Try all recipes at once