Fried Rice Vermicelli
Fried Rice Vermicelli – Rice vermicelli is also well-known as rice noodles or rice sticks.This simple,easy to follow and short taking time recipe – only 20 minutes -will show you how to cook a delicious homemade fried rice vermicelli easily and quickly! With some additional ingredients such as chicken breast,beansprouts and scallion,you will have a nice and tasty fried rice vermicelli.
VARIOUS TYPES OF CHINESE NOODLES
There are so many types of Chinese noodles that are available for you to choose in the market.The noodles cam be seen in many different textures,forms,shapes,sizes and colors.Why are there many types of Chinese noodles? Simple,because Chinese noodles is the basic or main ingredient in many Chinese food.Generally,in many Asian market,you can find rice vermicelli,crispy noodles,egg noodles,cellophane noodles,flat rice noodles,Shanghai noodles, yellow noodles,vegan/green noodles and many others.
There are also many different dry packaged noodle brands from all over Asia.Eventhough there are many kinds and options of Chinese noodles,it is not that difficult for the the Asians to choose and to buy the right Chinese noodles for their meals.Do you know why? Because of the Chinese diaspora and their long history mingling and assimilating themselves with other indigenous or native people in many Asian countries is the reasonB why Asians are so very familiar with Chinese noodles that they often have Chinese noodles for their weekday lunch or weeknight dinner.
On the other hand,believe it or not the experience in choosing and buying noodles can be surprising,confusing even frustrating for many non Asians or Asian food beginners.So,before moving on to the main part of this recipe,let’s get familiar with the main ingredient,rice vermicelli.
Rice vermicelli is also known as rice sticks or rice noodles in America.Rice vermicelli noodles or maifun in Chinese Language are plain noodles which are made from rice flour,water and occasionally starch as additional ingredient.
However,for the best rice sticks or rice noodles,it is much better for you to choose the brands with no starch.In Southeast Asia,rice vermicelli is called slightly different from one country to another. In Indonesia, people call it bihun and Singaporeans or Malaysians call it meehoon while Vietnamese call it bun and the Filipino call it Bihon.In fact,rice vermicelli is already a common part of daily meals in Asia.
INGREDIENTS FOR FRIED RICE VERMICELLI
As mentioned earlier,some additional ingredients are added in this simple,easy to follow recipe of fried rice vermicelli. They are :
- Chicken breast
- Scallion and last but not least,
- Soy sauce and sweet soy sauce
Although the ingredients of this fried rice vermicelli are simple,don’t you worry because you will certainly have a good ,tasty and satisfying meal.
HOW DO YOU AVOID THE RICE VERMICELLI FROM STICKING TO THE FRYING PAN OR SKILLET?
Sometimes or most of the time,especially for the first timers or beginners,cooking rice vermicelli or ricesticks could be troublesome because the rice vermicelli or the rice sticks usually will stick to the frying pan or skillet.So,just follow this simple cooking tips on how to avoid the rice vermicelli or rice sticks from sticking to the frying pan or skillet.
How? Easy, The frying pan or skillet and the cooking oil must be fully heated on high heat.That’s all you have to do.For beginners,it will be better for you to use the non-stick frying pan or skillet.
WHAT DISHES TO SERVE WITH FRIED RICE VERMICELLI?
Fried rice vermicelli can be served as a main dish,but if you want to have more authentic Chinese meal for a nice weekday lunch or weeknight dinner,some other Chinese dishes such as Chinese spring rolls, Kung Pao chicken and ginger soy bok coy can be served together with this meal.
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN
KEYWORD : RICE VERMICELLI
PREP TIME : 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 5 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 20 MINUTES
SERVING SIZE : 2 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 319 CALORIES
- ½ pack or 8 oz of rice vermicelli
- 1 handful fresh of beansprouts
- 8 oz of boneless and skinless chicken breast,chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 stalks of chopped 2 inch length scallion
SEASONING SAUCE :
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 dashes of ground white pepper
- Prepare some warm water.For about 30 minutes, the rice vermicelli are soaked until the rice noodles become soft.To dry the rice noodles,remove them to a colander. The beansprouts are cleaned with water and then,dry them and put them aside.To tenderize the chicken meat,the chicken meat is lightly coated by the cornstarch.
- Prepare a small bowl and then mix all the ingredients of the seasoning sauce.Put them aside.
- Prepare the frying pan or skillet. Heat it up on high heat.Put the cooking oil into the frying pan and when the cooking oil is fully heated, put the minced garlic into the frying pan.Start stir frying until you smell the aroma or the minced garlic turns light brown.The chicken meat is added and keep stidifrying until thechicken meat becomes white on the surface.
- Put the rice vermicelli and the seasoning sauce into the frying pan.To blend well with the sauce,stir the rice vermicelli continuously and keep stir frying for 2-3 minutes or until the rice vermicelli becomes soft or no longer wet. Finally, put the beansprouts and the scallion into the frying pan and keep stir frying for one more minute or until the beansprouts are cooked. Dish it out and your homemade fried rice vermicelli is ready. Enjoy!!