Elk Backstrap is also familiar with Elk Loin. These tender cuts of red meat are usually cooked fast with dry high heat. Backstrap is the one of the best ingredients that you can have for a tasty steak.
When you cook Elk Backstrap, this piece of red meat, in the right way you will have an amazingly delicious steak that you will enjoy until the last bite.
After having a nice meal with Elk Backstrap, you may have a nice dessert. One delicious dessert that goes well with Elk Backstrap is Strawberry Cake.
For this soft and delicious Strawberry Cake, you need the ingredients such as, 1 pound of hulled and halved of strawberry, 1 ½ cups of all purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder, ½ teaspoon of salt, 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 big egg, ½ cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Now, you are ready to make and bake the Strawberry Cake.
First of all, the oven is preheated to 350 F. A 10-inch cake pan is buttered. The flour, baking powder and salt are sifted together in a medium bowl. The strawberries are hulled and chopped into halves.
Secondly, the butter and 1 cup of sugar are put in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. They are mixed on medium-high speed until they become fluffy and pale for more or less 3 minutes. The speed is decreased to medium-low; the egg, milk and vanilla are mixed in.
Next, the speed is decreased to low; little by little the flour mixture is mixed in. The batter is removed to buttered pie plate. The strawberries are arranged on top of the batter chopped side down and as near together as possible. 2 tablespoons of sugar are sprinkled over the strawberries.
After that, the cake is baked for 10 minutes. The oven temperature is decreased to 325 F. The cake is baked until it becomes golden brown and the middle part is cooked completely for more or less 1 hour.
Finally, the Strawberry Cake is let cool and chopped into wedges. Now, your Strawberry Cake is ready and you serve it after you finish up The Elk Backstrap. Enjoy!!
HOW MANY CALORIES OF ELK BACKSTRAP PER SERVING?
Elk Backstrap has 602 calories per serving.
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : AMERICAN
KEYWORD : ELK BACKSTRAP RECIPE
SERVINGS : 4 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 602 CALORIES
- 2 lb of chopped into 1 inch thick medallions of elk backstrap
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 2 glasses of robust red wine
- 1 small, diced shallot
- 5 of black peppercorns
- 6 crushed of juniper berries
- 4 of springs thyme
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of lard or olive oil for roasting
- 6 chopped into 3 inch pieces of turnips
- 6 chopped into 3 inch pieces of parsnips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grape seed or olive oil for cooking the elk
- Prepare the oven. And then, the oven is preheated to 400 F. A roasting pan is put in the oven while the oven is being warmed to preheat that, too. When the oven is up to temperature and the pan is hot, the pan is taken out and the lard is thrown up and down slowly in the pan. This pan is put over a burner on your stove to keep it piping hot.
- The turnips and parsnips are thrown up and down slowly in the pan when the lard has already melted. They are slowly and carefully thrown up and down to coat the vegetables in the fat and it is bunged back in the oven. All of them are roasted for more or less 45 minutes.
- The heat is turned down to about 370 F when it is half way through-mainly if the vegetables appear already brown enough.
- Prepare a small sauce pan. The shallot, juniper berries, peppercorns, thyme and red wine are mixed in the small sauce pan. They are then, boiled and are reduced down to ¼ of their original volume.
- The beef broth is put into the small sauce pan. This is let reduced to more or less half of its original volume. A fine mesh sieve is strained through and is returned it to the pan, keep it to one side.
- The elk meat begins to be cooked for more or less 15 minutes before the vegetables are ready. A really heavy cast iron frying pan is taken and it is heated high, very high. The medallions are seasoned with some salt and pepper. A little splash of cooking oil is put into the cast iron frying pan and you wait until the smoke comes from the cooking oil.
- Now, the elk meat is put into the cast iron frying pan using tongs as it could well flame up. Any flames that may arise are blown out. Each side of elk is cooked for several of minutes until you have a nice sear over the meat.
- At this point, you can turn the heat down and cook through up to the way you want or you can put them in the oven to be cooked a little bit longer.
- Some heat is got back under the sauce while waiting for the vegetables and elk to be finished. The butter is whisked in when it is hot and the sauce is kept warm.
- The elk meat is let rest for several minutes before you serve it. With some of the roasted vegetables, the Elk meat is put on a plate and the sauce is on the side of it.