Crab Rangoon Recipe
This simple, easy to follow, short taking time –only more or less 20 minutes-, homemade recipe will give you tasty and yummy Crab Rangoon filled with crab meat and cream cheese wrapped with wonton wrappers. Once you know how to make Crab Rangoon recipe at home, you don’t have to go and buy at the Eatery anymore. Do try!!
Crab Rangoon is usually served as an appetizer in many Chinese Restaurants. These delicately small, pretty appetizers are actually fried-wontons filled with crab meat and cream cheese. People usually deep-fry the Crab Rangoon and then, with sweet and sour dipping sauce, The Crab Rangoon is commonly served.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOUR OWN AND THE BEST CRAB RANGOON AT HOME?
First of all, you must have three important ingredients of Crab Rangoon such as crab meat, cream cheese and wonton wrapper.
Next, the square wonton wrappers are used to wrap the cream cheese and crab meat filling. Just buy the wonton wrappers at Asian markets, food stores or in many regular supermarkets.
After that, it is recommended that real crab meat is used for the filling. Either fresh crab meat, frozen crab meat or canned crab meat can be used for the filling. It is also possible to use artificial crab meat sticks and you just chop and shred up the artificial crab meat sticks before they are used.
And then, the cream cheese and crab mixture are wrapped with wonton wrappers. Make sure that the filling is not too much or overfilled.
Finally, each wonton wrapper is sealed strongly so you will have no leak. It is pinched up like a small purse and you deep fry all of them until they become golden brown. So, you already know how to make the Homemade Crab Rangoon, now you need to know how to make the sweet and sour dipping sauce for Crab Rangoon at home.
HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR OWN SWEET AND SOUR DIPPING SAUCE FOR THE CRAB RANGOON?
First of all, you need to have the ingredients for the sweet and sour dipping sauce for Crab Rangoon such as 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of water, 1 ½ tablespoons of tangy tomato ketchup and 1/8 teaspoon of Chinese sharp rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon of Chinese Plum Sauce, and 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce.
The next thing to do will be very easy and simple. All of the ingredients of the sweet and sour dipping sauce for Crab Rangoon are mixed well and properly until you get the right balance between the sweet taste and the sour taste of Your Homemade Crab Rangoon Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce.
A PIECE OF INFORMATION ABOUT CRAB RANGOON
Some people sometimes wonder what the distinction between the common fried wonton and Crab Rangoon is. To put it simply, the distinction between the two is the filling. The original Chinese appetizer fried wonton is filled with ground pork, shrimp or chicken while Crab Rangoon is filled with cream cheese and crab meat.
Another question is whether it is possible or not to freeze Crab Rangoon. The answer is Yes. You can freeze the Crab Rangoon in the fridge when you already assemble and wrap them. Later, you just melt them first at room temperature before you deep fry the Crab Rangoon.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
This Crab Rangoon recipe yields 20 units. Each unit has only 25 calories per serving.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH CRAB RANGOON?
Some other meals such as Chow Mein, Mongolian Beef, and Wonton Soup can be served together with Crab Rangoon recipe for more complete Chinese Food and more complete weekday lunch or weeknight dinner.
COURSE : APPETIZER
CUISINE : AMERICAN –CHINESE
KEYWORD : CRAB RANGOON RECIPE
PREP TIME : 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 5 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 20 MINUTES
SEERVING SIZE : 20 UNITS
CALORIES : 25 CALORIES FOR EACH ONE OF CRAB RANGOON
- 1 cube of regular Cream Cheese
- 2 oz of finely diced crab meat or 2 sticks of artificial crab meat
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1tablespoon of powdered-sugar
- 20 wonton wrappers
- Sufficient cooking oil for the deep frying
- Prepare a bowl. And then, all of the cream cheese, crab meat, sugar and salt are mixed in the bowl. They are stirred to blend properly. More or less 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese filling is put in the center of a wonton wrapper.
- Some water is dabbed on the exterior edges of the wonton wrapper and the two ends of the wonton wrappers are folded together. The other two ends are also folded to make a small parcel. Each of them is sealed strongly, so you will have no leak.
- Prepare a pot of cooking oil. And then, the pot of cooking oil is heated up for deep frying and the Crab Rangoon is deep-fried until all of them become golden brown. With a strainer or slotted spoon, dish them out. The remaining oil is dried by laying the Crab Rangoon on a dish which is lined with paper towels. Give a few minutes to make The Crab Rangoon cool down a little bit otherwise the filling will still be very hot if you serve the Crab Rangoon right away after you deep fry them. When your Homemade Crab Rangoon is already cool down a little bit, you can serve The Crab Rangoon with its sweet and sour dipping sauce.