Cheese Puffs (Gougeres)
This simple and easy to follow, homemade recipe of Gougere – one famous kind of French pastries – will give you puffy and fresh Cheese Puffs full of the delicious mozzarella and parmesan cheese ! These pretty, small, cheesy and fresh Cheese Puffs are so addictive that many people like to have this appetizer again and again.
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT GOUGERE?
Yes, your guess is right. From its name, ”Gougere”, you know that Gougere is something from France. Gougere is a French word means Cheese Puff. This delicious French pastry is usually filled with lots of cheese only, but some other fillings such as ham, mushroom, or beef can be added, too.
In France, the people use a certain kind of cheese called Gruyere to make Gougere. But in this recipe, instead of using Gruyere, these Cheese Puffs use mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Traditionally, this pastry is served warm as a good appetizer or side dish, but in the past the people in France liked to serve Gougeres cold.
The dough of this pastry is called pate a coux , a cooked dough with some ingredients such as all purpose flour, hot boiling water, butter and eggs. If you want to, you can use salt and pepper to give more taste to Gougeres. You can use this dough to make some other baking recipes such as cream puffs and pumpkin cream puffs.
MORE ABOUT PATE a CHOUX DOUGH
As mentioned earlier, this traditional French pastry needs special dough called Pate a Choux Dough. First of all, to make this Pate a Choux Dough, you just prepare a pan and then, the butter, water, milk, salt and pepper are put into the pan. After that, the flour is put into the pan and you mix the dough until it looks to be dried out or on the pan, you can see a little crust.
Next, the heat is turned off. Prepare a glass bowl and remove the cooked dough into the glass bowl and you beat the eggs one by one and you use a stand mixer or hand mixer to form silky and smooth dough. And finally, the 2 most important ingredients for these Cheese Puffs are the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
First, the mozzarella cheese is put into the bowl and it is mixed well with the dough. And for the parmesan cheese, you will grate it and sprinkle it on the top of the dough ball shape later.
SOME NOTES FOR GOUGERES
- The use of Cayenne pepper is recommended if you want to have a full spicy taste.
- The use of a simple wooden spoon is also possible to mix the eggs.
- The use of piping tip pastry bag, a cookie scoop or 2 spoons to make small balls of the dough is fine.
- The best time to have Gougeres is on the same day The Gougeres are baked, but if there some leftovers of Gougeres, keep them in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days maximum.
- The size of a Gougere in this recipe is 1”-2” inch. To bake bigger size of Gougeres, the reduction of baking time for 5 minutes at the beginning is advisable.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING ?
The end result of this Cheese Puffs or Gougere recipe will give you 18 fresh Gougeres. Every Gougere has only 80 calories.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH CHEESE PUFFS OR GOUGERE?
Gougere is the right appetizer for your party, so don’t forget to put this menu to your list. Some other meals for the main course such as mustard chicken or garlic chive butter grilled steak can be served after having this appetizer.
COURSE : APPETIZER
CUISINE : EUROPEAN (FRENCH)
KEYWORD : CHEESE PUFFS
PREP TIME : 20 MINUTES
BAKE TIME : 30 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME : 50 MINUTES
SERVINGS : 18 GOUGERES
CALORIES : 80 CALORIES
- ¾ cup of water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 5 tablespoons or 70 g of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon of minced Italian parsley
- ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare the oven. And then, the oven is preheated to 425 F or 220 C and a baking sheet with parchment paper is lined.
- Prepare a medium sauce pan. The water, butter, salt and ground black pepper are brought to a boil in the medium sauce pan. Put the flour into the sauce pan start to stir until the dough is formed. Keep cooking for another 2 minutes and then, the dough is dried out.
- Prepare a bowl and then, the dough is removed to the bowl and it is let cool slightly. The eggs are put into the bowl slowly, one at a time and stir until they are mixed well.
- After that, the mozzarella cheese and parsley are put into the bowl and they are mixed well. 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese and parsley mixture are used to round each ball of the dough and is dropped onto the parchment paper that you already prepared previously. And then, they are set to 1.5”-2 “apart. Some grated parmesan cheese is sprinkled on top.
- Now, your gougeres are ready to bake. Prepare your oven. Set your oven to 425 F or 220 C and for 10 minutes, bake them. After this, set your oven to 380 F and for the next 25 minutes, bake them until they become golden brown. Finally your Gougeres are ready and quickly,warmly served.