Bo Luc Lac – A Vietnamese Shaking Beef
This simple, easy to follow, short taking time – only more or less 10 minutes- homemade recipe of Shaking Beef or Bo Luc Lac in Vietnamese Language will give you a soft and moist beef in the delectable sauce. Make your own Shaking Beef at home is not that difficult.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOUR OWN BO LUC LAC OR SHAKING BEEF AT HOME?
First of all, you need to prepare some ingredients such as beef sirloin or any other cut of steak that you enjoy so much such as fillet mignon or rib eye. And then, you need to have red onion, watercress and tomatoes.
You also need garlic, fish sauce, sweet soy sauce, sugar, oyster sauce, and sesame oil to make the Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef sauce. Several other ingredients such as lime juice, black pepper and kosher salt are also needed to make the Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef dipping sauce.
Next, you need to make the Shaking Beef sauce. So, you mix well all the ingredients from garlic, the fish sauce, sweet soy sauce, sugar, oyster sauce, to sesame oil for making the Shaking Beef sauce. And then, the beef is marinated with the sauce.
After that, prepare a large frying pan. The large frying pan is heated. And finally, the beef is seared in the large frying pan until both sides of the beef become brown. Don’t forget, the name of this dish is Shaking Beef, so shake and throw lightly up and down the beef in the large frying pan while you cook the beef, ok?
WHAT WAYS CAN YOU DO TO SERVE BO LUC LAC OR SHAKING BEEF?
Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef can be served in several different ways. One way to serve Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef is with sautéed onions, lettuce and white rice. Another way to serve Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef is with like the way you present a steak salad served on a bed of watercress and tomatoes and on top of it, pickled onions.
For the Shaking Beef dipping sauce, you can make it either by combining the lime juice, salt and ground black pepper or by combining the soy sauce with chili sauce. Anyway, no matter which way you choose for serving your homemade Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef, it’s a really yummy meal!!
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef has 592 calories per serving.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH BO LUC LAC OR SHAKING BEEF?
Some other Vietnamese meals such as Goi Cuon (Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls), Vietnamese Chicken Curry, and Garlic Noodles can be served together with Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef for more complete weeknight dinner.
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN (VIETNAMESE)
KEYWORD : BO LUC LAC RECIPE
SERVINGS : 4 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 592 CALORIES
- 5 lbs of cut into 1” cubes of sirloin beef
- 2 table spoons of cooking oil
- 1 peeled and thinly sliced of red onion
FOR THE SAUCE OF BO LUC LAC OR SHAKING BEEF AND MARINADE
- 2 table spoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar
FOR THE VINAIGRATTE :
- ½ cup of rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar
FOR THE BO LUC LAC OR SHAKING BEEF VEGETABLE SIDES :
- 2 thinly sliced of tomatoes
- 2 bunches of long stems trimmed of watercress
FOR THE BO LUC LAC OR SHAKING BEEF DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 sliced into halves of lime
- ½ teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- Firstly, all the ingredients for Shaking Beef Sauce and Marinade are mixed well with the beef. And then, for 30 minutes or it will much better for 1 to 2 hours, they are marinated.
- Next, prepare the vinaigrette. The rice vinegar is mixed well with salt and sugar. The end result is to have a balance of sweet, sour and salty.
- After that, 3-4 tablespoons of Vinaigrette are used to pickle the red onions. Put them aside and the pickled red onions are covered and put them in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes
- The watercress and tomatoes are arranged on a serving platter. Put them aside.
- Prepare a large frying pan. And then, the large frying pan is heated over high heat. Put the cooking oil into the large frying pan and the smoke is coming, the beef cubes are put in one even later into the large frying pan and for about 2 minutes start to sear.
- For the next 1-2 minutes, the opposite sides are also seared to make all the sides of the beef cubes become brown. Don’t forget to shake and throw lightly the beef cubes up and down in the large frying pan while you cook the bite-sized beef cubes.
- Prepare a serving platter. And then, the beef cubes are removed to the serving platter. The remaining 3-4 tablespoons of Vinaigrette are poured little by little over the beef cubes, watercress, and tomatoes. With the pickled onion, the beef cubes are topped.
- Prepare a small heat-resistant bowl. The Shaking Beef Dipping Sauce is made by squeezing the lime juice over black pepper and salt in a small heat-resistant bowl. And finally, your homemade Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef is ready and quickly serve the Bo Luc Lac or Shaking Beef with the dipping sauce.