Almond Chicken – A Well-Known Chinese Chicken Dish
This simple, easy to follow, and short taking time – only more or less 20 minutes – homemade recipe of Almond Chicken will give you a soft, moist and stir-fried chicken in brown sauce with the almond as the distinctive ingredient along with some other kinds of vegetables to provide a certain, delectable taste of this meal.
Once you can make Almond Chicken on your own at home, you’ll find out that it is not that difficult to make it and maybe it is not as expensive as going to some Eateries to buy The Almond Chicken. With the crispy almonds, this meal will give a different taste of chicken dish not to mention the brown sauce. Wow, it’s going to be a satisfying, yummy, homey and yet heavenly dish you’ll ever have!
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT ALMOND CHICKEN?
Though Almond Chicken is a Chinese dish, it’s quite famous in many Chinese restaurants in America especially at Chinese restaurants in the city of Detroit, Michigan. The Almond chicken has popular nicknames such as, DAC, BBC and ABC. DAC stands for Detroit Almond Chicken and BBC stands for Boneless BBQ Chicken while ABC stands for Almond Boneless Chicken.
Besides the vegetables used in this recipe, you can use sliced green onions and shredded iceberg lettuce for the topping of Almond Chicken and not to forget the hot Chinese mustard to have the yummiest flavor.
As for the Almond Chicken brown sauce, you can make it either heavy, thick brown sauce or light thin brown sauce. Again, it is really up to your own choice on how you would like to have your brown sauce for your homemade Almond Chicken.
The most interesting part of Almond Chicken is of course the Almond. Chicken and nut are often used in many Chinese Chicken Dishes. Almond Chicken is just one of Chinese Chicken dishes that use nut as the main ingredient.
There are some other Chinese Chicken Dishes that use nut for the main ingredient. From the popular Kung Pao Chicken to the Cashew Chicken and the walnut chicken are just some Chinese Chicken Dishes that use nut as the main ingredient.
As mentioned earlier, Chinese Almond Chicken is quite famous in America. The history of Almond Chicken began almost a hundred years ago in the Eastern Coast of America. Almond Chicken gained more popularity in America from the 40’s to the 60’s because there were cookbooks in which the recipe of Almond Chicken could be easily practiced by American housewives at that time.
SEVERAL COOKING TIPS FOR TO HAVE THE BEST HOMEMADE ALMOND CHICKEN
- Marinate the chicken with the white part of eggs and cornstarch before the chicken is stir-fried.
- Blanch the chicken in water.
- It is advisable to use a wok if you have one at home.
- And last but not least, to have not a very thick sauce, pour a little water during stir frying.
WHAT MEALS TO SERVE WITH ALMOND CHICKEN?
Some other meals such as Ginger Soy Bok Choy and Shrimp Fried Rice can be served together with Almond Chicken for more complete weekday lunch or weeknight dinner.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER SERVING?
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CUISINE : ASIAN ( CHINESE)
KEYWORD : ALMOND CHICKEN
PREP TIME : 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME : 10 MINUTES
SERVINGS : 2 PEOPLE
CALORIES : 473 CALORIES
- 12 oz of boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 inch of peeled and sliced into pieces of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 cup of snow peas or sugar snap peas
- ½ cup of sliced into pieces baby carrots
- ½ cup of sliced almonds
FOR THE BROWN SAUCE OF THE ALMOND CHICKEN :
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- ½ tablespoon of sesame oil
- 5 tablespoons of water
- Prepare the chicken. And then, with cold water the chicken is cleaned up and with the paper towel, the chicken is pat-dried. The chicken is then chopped into small bite-sized cubes.
- Prepare a bowl. And then, the chicken is removed to the bowl and the cornstarch is put into the bowl. With a spoon, the chicken and the cornstarch are mixed well until with the cornstarch, every piece of chicken is fully coated. Put them aside.
- Prepare a small bowl. And then, all the ingredients of the brown sauce are together mixed well in the small bowl. Put them aside.
- Prepare a large frying pan. And then, the large frying pan with the cooking oil is heated up on high heat. The ginger is put into the large frying pan and the ginger followed by the chicken is stir- fried in the large frying pan until the ginger and the chicken smell good. Keep on stir frying until the exterior of the chicken becomes white. The sugar snap peas or snow peas, baby carrots and almonds are put into the large frying pan and all of them are stir-fried to mix well.
- Prepare the brown sauce, and then, the brown sauce is put into the large frying pan. The brown sauce is stir-fried to mix properly with the chicken. Quickly after the sauce becomes thick and the chicken is well cooked, dish out the Almond Chicken and serve the Almond Chicken as soon as possible.