I love something special on the weekends for breakfast! It’s nice sleeping in a bit late, sauntering into the kitchen for a steaming cup of strong coffee, and getting a little creative. This breakfast (or lunch, snack or dinner!) Zucchini Tomato Basil Sandwich was inspired by a summer trip to my farmers market, where I found hearty heirloom tomatoes, tender new zucchini, and fresh basil. Based on only 5 ingredients, you can whip up this pretty open-face sandwich in only 8 minutes! It’s very plant forward—a great way to get your veggies in—with a smear of soft plant-based cheese to add a bit of creamy flavor and protein to the mix.
I have also made this easy, satisfying, gorgeous sandwich out of ingredients from my summer garden. Tomatoes, zucchini, and basil are some of the easiest summer veggies to grow, and this recipe showcases a beautiful way to use them up when you have them coming out of your ears. In fact, this photo (below) is taken right in the heart of my veggie garden, with my zucchini flourishing. You can even feature a squash blossom like this to garnish your plate.
While I love this recipe for breakfast, you can easily enjoy it for a quick lunch or dinner—paired with a hearty soup.
How To Make Zucchini Tomato Basil Sandwich
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 slices rustic, whole grain bread
- 1 ½ ounces plant-based soft cheese (i.e., Miyoko’s or my home made cashew cheese)
- 1 medium heirloom tomato (or 4 heirloom cherry tomatoes), sliced
- 4 basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in sauté pan or skillet and add zucchini. Saute, turning over zucchini occasionally until it is golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- While it is cooking, pop bread into a toaster.
- Place toasted bread slices on a serving dish and spread each with plant-based cheese.
- Arrange zucchini on top of plant-based cheese on each sandwich.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes on top of zucchini on each sandwich.
- Top with fresh basil one each sandwich.