An easy and delicious Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe that will warm you right up.
Last Friday night Randy had a meeting at church. Yep. On a Friday night. It wasn’t a surprise. It had been on the calendar for a while. No biggie. Normally, perhaps during warmer weather, I would plan a girl’s night out with some of my friends or plan a shopping outing or something. It was Friday after all. And who doesn’t make plans for Friday night, right?
But, this time I intentionally didn’t plan anything. All I wanted to do was make a big pot of soup and curl up with a good book (or, if I’m honest, a good movie or three), with a fire crackling and my dogs to keep me company. Doesn’t that sound like the most perfect night for a chilly Friday in January? Other than my favorite person being absent, it’s pretty perfect to me. I’ll certainly be looking forward to more Friday nights with no plans in the future.
So, let’s talk about that soup—the real reason you’re here. Vegetable Beef Soup has got to be one of the most classic of classic comfort food. Somehow it not only warms your belly, but your soul as well. What is it about this simple yet satisfying soup that can do that? It’s basic ingredients for sure, but they sure do mingle together to create one big giant flavor party, plus an aroma that fills your home that makes having just one more bowl irresistible.
Not only does Vegetable Beef Soup satisfy our taste buds, but it is super duper easy to make. While the recipe below lists a variety of vegetables (along with ground beef), if you follow the basic process, you can easily substitute or add other vegetables or meats as you like. Just make sure everything is cooked through before ready to serve.
Once you gather all of your ingredients you will have a pot of Vegetable Beef Soup simmering in no time. Begin with large stock pot or dutch oven. Heat the pot over medium-low heat, then add butter (or olive oil) and allow to warm. Toss in some diced onion, celery, sliced carrots and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for ten minutes. Next, add the ground beef. Break up the beef with a spoon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef has fully browned. (This recipe is mostly about stirring occasionally. If you can stir, you can make this soup.)
When the beef has browned, add in squash, mushrooms, black pepper, Italian seasonings, parsley, paprika and garlic, and, once again, cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. Finish up by stirring in beef stock, diced canned tomatoes, green beans and okra. Bring to a low boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for at least an hour. All vegetables should be tender before serving. Finally taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Vegetable Beef Soup can be kept on low for hours until ready to serve. It’s also great reheated as leftovers, This soup freezes well. To freeze for later, let soup cool completely, then transfer to freezer-safe airtight containers and freeze for a couple of months.
As you can see, Vegetable Beef Soup couldn’t be easier to make. So if you’re hunkered down on a chilly day, grab a pot and get to cooking. You’ll be glad you did.
VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP RECIPE
- 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups sliced yellow squash or zucchini (or combination)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 64 ounces beef stock
- 14-15 ounces canned diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 3 cups chopped canned green beans, drained*
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-low heat. Add butter/oil and allow to warm. Add diced onion, celery, sliced carrots and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add ground beef. Break up beef with spoon; cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is completely browned.
- Add yellow squash/zucchini, mushrooms, black pepper, Italian Seasoning, parsley, paprika and grated garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; beef stock, diced canned tomatoes, green beans and okra. Bring to a low boil, reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for a minimum of 1 hour.** All vegetables should be tender.*** Season to taste. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.
* Frozen green beans may be used.
**Soup can certainly be cooked for less time, but it only get better the longer it can mingle together.
***If using frozen vegetables be sure to cook vegetables are tender.
To freeze for later, let soup cool completely, then transfer to freezer-safe airtight containers and freeze for a couple of months.