We’re eating this healthy chicken salad for lunch all summer long and I bet you will too! AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD skips the heavy dressing in favor of creamy, dreamy avocados! This recipe is quick, simple, and packs in so much flavor from the lime and cilantro.
I am a total sucker for an easy lunch.
You see, we homeschool, which means that my kids are here all day every day. Which is nice and all, except for that it also means that I have to feed them. Three meals a day. Every day. Forever and ever amen. #sendhelp
I get burnt out on cooking, so through the week they’re on their own for breakfast and I keep lunch as simple as possible.
Enter this avocado chicken salad! It’s the perfect quick lunch, especially on a hot summer day. We love how creamy the avocado gets, the vibrant color of the salad, and addition of lime and cilantro to brighten things up.
How to make this avocado chicken salad recipe:
You’re going to want to start with ripe avocados, which is probably the trickiest part of this recipe. 😉 Am I the only one that has trouble with avocados going from too hard to too soft in a matter of minutes?
Dice up your avocado and add it to a mixing bowl with some cooked shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken is perfect for this!), red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and a little garlic powder.
I also add in a dollop of mayo to make this salad nice and creamy. You could also use Greek yogurt, but that will affect the carb count.
Stir everything together – no need to be gentle. As you stir, the avocado will break down a bit and start to coat the chicken. It makes this perfectly creamy!
How to serve low carb chicken salad:
You’ve got a couple of options here:
- Lettuce Wraps: The old faithful of the low carb world. 😉 I like romaine.
- Low Carb Tortillas: I’m partial to Mission brand for tacos and Ole Extreme for making wraps.
- Low Carb Crackers: Spoon a little chicken salad on a cracker and eat it like a dip.
- Your Fork: That’s right – just go at it with a fork. No shame, friends.
- Tomato: Hollow out the center of a tomato and fill it with this healthy chicken salad!
Plenty of options to fit any mood or diet.
I’ve been hesitant to include recipes featuring low carb tortillas on this site, because I know some people are pretty strict keto. I’m not, however, and regularly eat low carb tortillas now that they’re so widely available – Walmart carries them and most other large chains do as well.
Curious your thoughts – more recipes showing how to use low carb tortillas or not?
Avocado chicken salad is packed with healthy fat and lean protein! It makes a quick and filling lunch and you can serve it in so many ways!
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup mayo
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well to break down the avocado.
- Serve immediately.
- To store, press plastic wrap tightly onto the surface of the salad to keep the avocado from browning. Store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Serve in a lettuce wrap, low carb tortilla, or with a fork!
YIELD: 6 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving:CALORIES: 220 TOTAL FAT: 17g SATURATED FAT: 3g TRANS FAT: 0g UNSATURATED FAT: 13g CHOLESTEROL: 38mg SODIUM: 273mg CARBOHYDRATES: 5g FIBER: 3g SUGAR: 1g PROTEIN: 12g