Have you ever heard about cobbler or cobbler cake? Cobbler is a dessert which is generally found in England and the United States of America. This dessert consists of fresh fruits poured into a baking sheet, covered with cake dough or biscuits, and then baked. Some cobbler recipes, especially in South America, use pie crust in the baking sheet base and the cake’s surface. This dessert comes from the colonial era of England-American. English people who could not make traditional pudding because lack cooking utensils and ingredients, creating a dish that is made from boiled fruits covered with biscuits and then baked.
One of the most popular cobbler cakes is peach cobbler cake. Even though you can also use other fruits, such as apples, raspberries, mangos, strawberries, and many more. But the most used fruit for cobbler cake is peaches. It is because peaches are sweet and sour so that the fruit is suitable to be combined with buttery biscuits or cakes. The sweet and sour taste from peaches will make this cake tastes fresh. This dessert is perfect to be eaten with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 canned peach without water, ±400 grams
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 190 grams of gluten-free flour
- 1½ tablespoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 100 grams of cold butter, diced. You can replace it with margarine
- 100 ml of cold milk mixed with ½ tablespoon of lime juice. Leave the mixture for 15 minutes in a chiller
- Prepare a baking sheet with 20cm diameter. It will be better if you use a ceramic baking sheet or heat-resistant glass baking sheet. Heat the oven and set the temperature at 170ºC. Prepare a bowl, pour the gluten-free, sugar, salt, and baking powder into the bowl, and stir evenly. Add the diced cold butter. By using a fork, pastry knife, or regular knife, chop the butter together with flour until it becomes rough-grained dough. Do not chop the dough until it is soft. Pour the cold milk gradually with a spoon. Do not pour all of the cold milk at once, because you probably only need 4 spoons to 5 spoons of milk to make the dough clot. Stir slowly the dough with a spatula. Remember to stir it slowly, especially if you use regular flour. Add milk until the dough looks moist and starts to clot. If so, do not add any more milk, and put the dough aside.
- Filter the canned peach because you will not use the water. You can use the peach water to make a pudding or just simply add ice cubes to have a fresh drink. Pour peaches into a bowl. Add sugar and cornstarch, stir evenly. Then, pour the peach mixture into a baking sheet. Cover it with the cake dough gradually with a spoon. Do it until the baking sheet is covered with the cake dough. Bake the peach cobbler cake until the surface looks golden brown, for around 40 minutes.
The baking time can be different, depends on the type of oven used. This recipe uses an electric oven, so if you use the same kind of oven, you will need around 40 minutes to bake the cobbler cake. What you can do is checking the surface of the cobbler cake. If it is already golden brown, take it out from the oven. Let the cobbler cake thoroughly cool before you consume it. This cake tastes best with ice cream.
Gluten-Free Peach Cobbler Cake Nutrition Facts
Per serving of gluten-free peach cobbler cake contains these nutrients:
- Calorie: 244.1 calories
- Saturated Fat: 5.1gr
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4 gr
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2.1gr
- Cholesterol: 21.6mg
- Sodium: 101.7mg
- Carbohydrate: 42.5gr
- Dietary Fiber: 1.6gr
- Protein: 2.1gr
- Vitamin C: 9.2%
If you want to make a regular peach cobbler cake, you can replace the gluten-free flour with low-protein flour or medium-protein flour. One important thing that you have to remember is when you are making the cake dough, you have to make sure that you slowly mix the butter and flour. When you use regular flour, then the gluten contained in the flour will make the dough becomes hard when mixed with wet ingredients. But if you use gluten-free flour, this will not happen. But the texture will remain flaky and crunchy.
As it is said before, you can also use other fruits. If you want to use pineapples, apples, or pears, slice them thinly. You are able to directly mix the fruits with cornstarch and sugar and pour it in the baking sheet. Fresh or frozen strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are also delicious to be used as a filling for the cobbler cake. You are also able to make the cake dough to have textures like pie crust if you want a crunchy and flaky cobbler cake.