A spicy bowl of this savory Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect ending to a long day. Make a large batch to serve with cornbread and a large salad for watching the big game or just a fun gathering with friends.
As soon as the weather begins to change we begin craving cozy comfort foods like this Chicken Tortilla Soup. Just a hint of coolness in the air or the subtle change in the leaves and I am ready to make a big batch of soup or chili. There’s nothing like a big pot of soup to fill your home with an appetite inducing aroma. And also fill your belly with savory goodness!
What I like about this Chicken Tortilla Soup is that it is hearty and satisfying without being overly heavy and filled with lots of extra calories. It is actually a pretty light and nutritious soup. It’s a superb example of a meal that can be light without missing out on flavor. This is one flavor packed soup!
If entertaining we like to set up a toppings bar with shredded cheese, sour cream or greek yogurt, fresh cilantro, jalapeno, avocado, and corn chips for a tasty meal perfect for feeding a crowd. Since this soup is great for making ahead of time, this recipe makes for a nice option for entertaining.
This Chicken Tortilla Soup can be made with roasted chicken. Also, if short on time, grab a rotisserie chicken from the local grocer on the way home to shorten the prep time. You may also roast the chicken the night before, debone it, then cover and refrigerate until ready to prep the soup. This delicious soup is fairly easy to put together. Of course it can be made and left to stew stovetop until everyone is ready to chow down. Grab a spoon and enjoy!
EASY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP RECIPE
This easy savory and spicy hearty soup is made with chicken and corn tortillas and perfect any time of the year.
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (any chili powder may be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 48 ounces canned chicken stock
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds roasted or rotisserie chicken, cut into chunks or shredded
- 1/4 cup lightly-packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish/toppings: Serve with lime wedges, sliced/diced avocado, sour cream, greek yogurt, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, additional chopped fresh cilantro.
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add herbs and spices (oregano, cumin, coriander, chili powder, red pepper) stir to toast, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add onion, cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Grate garlic directly into pot, continue to cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add stock, crushed tomatoes, and salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Halve 2 of the corn tortillas, then cut into strips, add to stock. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for at least 25 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and cilantro; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Halve remaining corn tortillas, then cut into strips. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Toss tortilla strips in warm pan to toast, about 3-5 minutes. Be watchful to avoid burning. Just before serving, stir toasted strips into soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with optional garnish or toppings.