Easy Chicken parmigiana, or chicken parmesan, is a dish that consists of breaded chicken breast covered in tomato sauce and mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheese. A slice of ham or bacon is sometimes added. It is also known colloquially in the United States as chicken parm and in Australia as a parma, parmi, or parmy.
Save more time in practicing the chicken parmigiana recipe by preparing the cooking utensils in advance. You will need a medium baking sheet, two shallow bowls, a baking dish, and serving utensils. Once you are ready, do these step by step instructions thoroughly.
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¾ or 16 ounces jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 halves chicken breast, skinless, boneless
- 2 ounces bread crumbs, dried
- Ready and preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit or 175º Grease a medium baking sheet lightly with butter or cooking oil.
- Prepare the small shallow bowls. Pour the egg into one of the bowls and the bread crumbs in another bowl. Put the egg, bread crumbs bowl and the greased baking sheet side to side to ease of the dipping process.
- Dip the chicken meats into the egg, then dip it again into the bread crumbs, and finally place it on the baking sheet. Repeat the dipping process until all the meats have been coated.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for about 40 minutes until the color of the chicken meats has changed to golden brown.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce into a baking dish. Take out the baked chicken, then place it over the sauce and cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the cheeses all over the chicken and bake it once again for approximately 20 minutes.
- Take out the dish. Serve the chicken parmigiana while it hot.
The chicken parmigiana recipe is so popular especially in North America and Australia. In Northern America, it grew massively because of the influence of Italian immigrants. They come by around 1950s and opened up restaurants that serving Italian-American cuisine. Often times, this dish becomes the main course, served along with pasta. Contrast, in Australia, this Italian food is often served with salad and chips.
It comes with many alternative names such as chicken parm, parmy or parma. The name changes depending on where the dish is being delivered. Together with pizza, this food has come and well known throughout the world. Aside from its delicious flavor, it doesn’t need any Italian specialties in cooking them. It also doesn’t require any certain ingredients, which makes it so easy to make. That is why this chicken parmigiana recipe is really worth a try to present some high overseas cooking level.