Chocolate Pecan Scones are flaky and loaded with chocolate and pecans! Serve warm or at room temperature. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Chocolate Chip Scones
A few months ago I popped into a coffee shop and spotted the tastiest looking scones in the display window! They were loaded with GIANT pecan pieces and lots of gooey chocolate chips. I didn’t buy one because I had literally just finished lunch! But I did make a note in my phone reminding me to buy pecans so I could recreate them for us at home. I finally perfected the recipe last week and I honestly couldn’t be happier! They’re flaky yet tender, lightly flavored with cinnamon and vanilla, and loaded with pecans and chocolate.
How to make Chocolate Chip Scones
- flour: start with 2 and 2/3 cups of flour, then add more if needed.
- salt: enhances the other flavors.
- baking powder: gives the scones lift.
- brown sugar: I love using brown sugar because it makes the scones a little softer and more flavorful, but granulated sugar may be used instead.
- cinnamon: adds a nice but subtle cinnamon spice flavor!
- unsalted butter: butter adds flavor, but also makes the scones flaky and fluffy. make sure your butter is COLD! Cold butter is essential to making flaky scones.
- eggs: add flavor and create structure for the scone dough.
- heavy cream: adds flavor and moisture.
- vanilla extract: adds sweetness and enhances the other flavors.
- chocolate: I use chocolate chips, but feel free to use chopped chocolate.
- and pecans: you can finely chop all of the pecans or use a combination of chopped and whole.
You may also want to grab some confectioners sugar for dusting the scones! This is optional, but suggested if you’d like a sweeter scone. It also makes a very pretty presentation!
How to Assemble Scone Dough
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the lumps of butter to the flour mixture and work the butter in the dough until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a glass measuring cup add the egg, egg yolk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined, then add this liquid mixture to the dry ingredients. Add in the chocolate chips and pecans. Stir until the ingredients are combined and the chocolate chips and pecans are well distributed. The mixture will look shaggy, but don’t fret! It will come together after a few kneads.
How to Shape the Dough
- Dump the scone mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough a few times. If it’s too sticky to work with, lightly flour your hands. Then form the dough into a disc and cut it into wedges.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes, or overnight! Briefly chilling the dough helps avoid them spreading too much in the oven.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and the scones are fully baked.
How to Store Scones
These Chocolate Pecan Scones are best eaten the same day they are baked! But if you’d like to make them last an extra day or so, try this trick:
- Line the bottom of a storage container with a paper towel. Place the fully cooled scones on top of the paper towel, in a single layer. Then add an airtight lid.
- When you’re ready to eat them, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and warm for a few minutes.
How to Freeze Scones
Did you know you can freeze scones? Because you can! Scones freeze great for up to 2 months!
To freeze unbaked scone dough: Place the wedges of dough on a plate and freeze until solid, about 2 hours. Once frozen, layer the wedges in a freezer bag and place in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To bake from frozen: simply bake as directed, but add about 3 minutes onto the bake time.
Chocolate Pecan Scones Recipe
- 2 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, VERY cold and cut into tiny pieces
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounce bag chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon milk or water
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°(F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, brown sugar and cinnamon; mix well to combine.
- Cut the butter into small cubes then work it into the mixture (using your fingers, two forks, or a pastry cutter) until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a glass measuring cup whisk together the egg, cream, and vanilla. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Add in the chocolate chips and pecans. Use a fork to stir everything together until just moistened. Don’t worry if the dough looks shaggy!
- Empty the loose dough out onto a clean, lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough a few times, then shape it into an 8-inch disc.
- Cut the disc into 8 wedges and carefully transfer them to the prepared sheet, placing them 2″ apart.
- Lightly brush each scone with the egg wash.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Allow scones to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar before serving!