Flavored with sea vegetables and fermented pickles, this chickpea-based sandwich filling is a perfect plant-powered replacement for tuna salad in sandwiches and green salads. Rich in protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients, this chickpea sea-salad also provides a helping of healthy bacteria, compliments of the fermented pickles—they possess live bacteria and are increasingly available in natural food stores.
How To Make Toasted Chickpea Sea-Salad Sandwiches
- 12 slices of whole grain bread (e.g., rye, whole wheat, gluten-free multigrain)
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, no salt added, rinsed and drained (or 1 ¾ cups cooked)
- ¼ cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons finely diced white onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced fresh fermented pickles (with live active cultures)
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced dried seaweed (e.g., nori, arame)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat plant-based mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 12 slices fresh fermented pickles, drained
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until lightly browned, or use a toaster.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher into a chunky paste.
- Mix in the celery, onion, pickles, carrot, parsley, capers, and seaweed.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by mixing together the plant-based mayonnaise, mustard, miso paste, lemon juice, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast until smooth.
- Stir the dressing into the chickpea mixture.
- To make a sandwich, spread ½ cup of the filling across 1 slice of toasted bread. Top with 1 lettuce leaf, 2 slices of tomato, and 2 additional pickle slices. Top with another slice of bread. Continue until you have 6 sandwiches. Slice them in half diagonally and serve immediately.